Thinking of bringing my 2 hens in the house

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ronkonkoma, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ronkonkoma

ronkonkoma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    I only have 2 hens. I'm concerned they're going to freeze to death. For 2 days it's going to feel below freezing in NY. It won't hurt them in any way will it?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Putting them back outside will be hard on them, Keep them cool while inside. Next time be more concerned with preventing exposure to winds / drafts yet keep ventilation up. Many threads can be investigated that deal with preparing birds for such cold.

3. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    I put a tarp over their coop. It seems to be helping. I'm just concerned that there's only 2 of them. I don't know. My coops so small I couldn't fit the heated waterer in there. It freezes like every 3 hours. It's like minus 15 with the windchill. I'm thinking if I put them in the garage it might be a happy medium. I looked at a lot of posts but I only have 2 hens in a tiny coop.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As centrarchid states, it's important to watch the indoor temp. Temperature extremes can be as dangerous, or more so, than super cold.

I have a hen with numerous disabilities. One of them, bursitis, gets aggravated when it's well below freezing. But recently, I let her stay inside for an extended period. I noticed her facial skin was flushed bright red, and then I remembered that's a sign of over-heating.

The garage may be the ideal solution to your problem. I agree, two hens may not generate enough heat to keep warm enough when it's way cold. And they have to have water, so you need to keep changing it out when it becomes frozen.

I would bring them in as long as they won't be too warm. If your garage is 35- 45F or so, that would be ideal.

5. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    Thanks. That's what I'm going to do

6. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    They are so cute! I have silkies too. I have lots so they keep each other warm. The poop is going to smell awful inside. I had a broody hen inside and it was the worst smell you could imagine! Is the coop too small for a heat lamp? I would think they would be happier outside where they could get out if they wanted and be warm when they need to be. I have three Seramas that just went outside with a heat lamp. It got down to 20 degrees and the coop was 60 with the lamp. They were pretty happy. Good luck!

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Are those the two hens on your avatar the ones we're talking about? Silkies, as I understand, don't have the hard feathering and insulation properties to their feathers that standard chickens have. They really require more climate control. It's best they do sleep inside during the cold part of the year.

8. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    My rooster in the avatar died Monday. Brought him in because I noticed him gurgling. He died within hours. Freckle in the avatar is now walking on her hocks. I feel like something's up :( I need to find a local vet that sees chickens!! :( the other one indoors is solid white.

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry for the loss of your roo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by