Thinking of buying Silver Sussex pair & Coronation Sussex pair ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Seeing Silkies, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    I am thinking of buying Silver Sussex pair & Coronation Sussex pair more if I can aford it. The more i buy the lower the cost per pair. a few things i need to know. [​IMG]

The silver sussex is being sold by pairs only.. Would that be to much for 1 hen? I always thought you need more hens then roos, so the roos dont over do them, to put it lightly.
    pice is 300.00 per pair ( if i buy 2 pairs it would be 250.00 a pair BUT i cant aford that right now :-( ) - I would reather 2 hens and 1 roo - so I will keep trying, they are waiting for them to be old enough to tell the sex before selling, so i have a few more weeks I am hoping they have more hens then roos. [​IMG]

The coronation are being sold as chicks for 50.00 each or wait to they can sex them for 150.00 a pair I am sure i could save a little if i buy more to, have to talk to them about that.

These are from sets that were bought from greenfire farms

So my question is would it be ok to buy 1 set of each and it not be to much for 1 hen? They will be in different house & runs ( side by side ) but it would be 1 on 1???

These prices are the best I have found... are there any better prices that i am not seeing... aside from eggs I dont want to try that at all. Plus I dont want to ship eather & thats another 60.00 and they may not be alive when i get them

Any one near me looking - I will be driving for 2+ hours to pick them up, we could go together and save a little shhhhhhh [​IMG]

If you are an owner of them any pro's or con's I should know about??? i have been doing research but it just the basic things just like all chickens type info. I spoil my RIR & Silkies nothing basic at my house [​IMG]

I have a leat 2 or 3 weeks to let this set in and make sure it is worth investing this much money...

anyone interested in taken a jump with me be sure to pm me [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    could you post some pictures of the ones you are hoping to buy. make sure they have good Sussex type don't just buy because it is the color. I recently saw a coronation roo at a show he was the right color but he had twisted feathers and a side sprig on his comb and was DQed.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Muddyhorse is right. Check out who you are buying from carefully, ask for references and to see photos of the birds you are buying as well as the parent stock (not photos from Greenfire Farms unless you are buying directly from Greenfire). Once you obtain your pairs just get a few extra hens (preferably ones that lay a different colored egg than the Sussex so you can tell the eggs apart) for the time being and replace them with Sussex hens as you hatch them out. It ill take time and culling for type but it will be worth it in the end.

4. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    I do not have pic's he is waiting a few more weeks on the silver to be able to tell the sex. I found him on ebay selling eggs here is one of his listings, I have check his feed back and have contacted a few, so far so good & waiting on a few

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280585299116&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

He also has Coronation

We have talked a few times on the phone

I think I am going to buy a pair of the silver and pled to buy just a extra hen & I am going to buy 3 of the Coronation chicks & hope for the best.

I will be driving to pick them up & I will ask before hand to see paper work and ask to have something in wrighting for my self, If all is good & i do ever get to sell any I would need proof to.

This is to much money to just play around with. I still have time to learn & make sure its a good thing before doing it.
    Thank You for everyone's in put

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Wow I can't belive you guys pay that much for sussex chickens. I have 15 coronation sussex just hatched this morning in the incubator. I also have light,buff,silver and speckled sussex. I love them but sooo glad they don't cost that much here. My original coronation sussex eggs were given to me when I bought my first aracuanas.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  6. RoRoinGA

RoRoinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    NE GA
    I have a pair of Silver Sussex the I bought from Greenfire Farms. I also have light sussex that carry the recessive silver gene which I am breeding right now to the Silvers. I bought mine in April 2010. I love the breed! They are gorgous birds and laying well right now. I am confused though. You put up a web sire from ebay which you said was selling eggs and that is Greenfire Farms? I didnt know he sold those eggs on ebay. I have seen that listing but its not his name or location so I assumed it was someone else and was scratching my head to figure out how someone had all those Silver hens laying at this time. They would have to have bought them around the time I did and they weren't 300.00 then. Just curious.

7. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:Yes it is someone else,
    My understanding is, his older ones ( Now laying ) are from Greenfire Farms he bought pairs from them, It is NOT Greenfire Farms selling the eggs... I know this person has spent Thousands on Sussex and it is now paying off for him. He has a few rare breeds, I will be going there soon to get some of the Silvers,

8. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, I've seen spare Coronation roos for $5. I guess it's like if some breed like the Dominique or Crevecoeur got imported into here.

9. RoRoinGA

RoRoinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    NE GA
    Thats what I thought, but was not sure. I got mine directly from Greenfire. They came as 4-6 week old sexed pairs. The Silvers are magnificent. Very beautiful birds. They take longer to mature in my opinion, I had eggs way before my roo was fertilizing. The lights didnt seem to have that problem. Other than that, they lay well. What is it you want, day old chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by