Thinking of buying these birds, what does everyone think? Worth $20?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, Sep 17, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I believe there are 5 birds, 4 hens and a roo. The lady thinks the mom of the 3 littlest ones is a Mille Fleur (I assume she means d'Uccle since they are so small). They are very pretty with lovely colors. I could go pick them up this afternoon, but not sure if they are worth it. And can anyone tell from looking at them what they might really be? They sure are pretty.

[​IMG]

I do like their coloring. What does everyone else think?

2. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Very pretty birds. No clue if they are worth the money. But I have learned on here that there are mille fleur game bantams. I would guess that the mother was a game bantam since I see no muffs or beards. I would probably pay $20 for them all but my partner would shoot me if I brought home more bantams.

3. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. They do look like game birds, and I don't want game if they're going to be aggressive. I don't currently have game birds. Wondering what everyone's experience is with them?

4. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have a standard game(OEG) as well as 2 bantam games(OEGB and modern) and they are some of the sweetest birds I have, one is also very shy. I don't think they look at all like mille fleurs though, definitely not d'Uccles. Worth the $20.

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Not all birds with game bird background are agressive, despite the origins.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I have a lavender game bird hen that someone gave me as a chick. I don't like game birds in general (I think they're ugly), but she is absolutely the sweetest chicken I've ever had, so she got to stay. I still think she's ugly though. [​IMG]

7. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Then if she e-mails me back I will go see what condition they are in.

8. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I e-mailed her and said I would come tomorrow.

9. barngem

barngem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    I think they are very pretty.

10. I have game bird hens and frankly I think they are very friendly and actually have a mind.

My game roo is my best freind in the chicken yard and they are really good at avoiding preds and seem "street smart".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by