Thinking of farming

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mjdtexan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I have a few acres. I am 41, single, not working (yes, its very nice), houses are paid for, have tractors and implements, and am bored. I can spare 3 acres to farm. I know I aint gonna get rich, but I think I could become involved in some farmers markets and the like and have a little fun and maybe supplement my income. I am thinking of going out there and plowing it up and amending it all year long and maybe it will produce some good vegetables for next spring. Maybe even get involved in a co-op. I get all of the horse manure that I could possibly want for free. I just go downt the street with the ole trusty tractor and scoop it up and the stable owner is just tickled pink every time that I do. I just give him a homemade bottle of wine every once in a while and he smiles.

Think it could work? I could even get 50 or 60 more chickens and sell the eggs too

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds like a great plan to me! We only have 6 acres and I can't compete with the big boys, but I sure enjoy the country lifestyle. I hatch a few chicks, breed a few rabbits and go to the local farmers markets and poultry swaps and meet more people like me. We just put in 2500 sq ft of garden space and a few fruit trees. I say go for it!

3. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:You have one more acre than me. But the back three acres are just there making me mow them all the time. I am so picky about my yard. I think I should make it work for me instead of me working for it. The ducks might be upset though, they like to roam around out there.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I think with your location in Texas, you might have a market for meat goats as well. I think you could really enjoy doing what you suggest. Why not give it a shot. Honey, you only live once [​IMG]

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Read a book called "You Can Farm" by Joel Salatin. It's very interesting and there's a whole community who farms like him that you could ask questions of.

I would start small, rather than invest much money.

Farming to make an income is hard work. But you're your own boss. Definitely do some research before jumping in to make sure you do things profitably.

Three acres is plenty to make a living off of. First you have to ask yourself, what is your land/climate/water good for? Then do some numbers, look at markets.

Go for it.

6. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:She called me Honey [​IMG] Have you ever raised goats? I did when I was a kid (no pun intended). Those goats can and will get out of most anything.

Quote:I will look for the book and get it. I have plenty of time to research because I intend on amending the land all this year until next spring. I gotta go get me one of those behind the tractor tillers though, My walk behind tiller tried to kill me the other day while I was tilling the watermelon patch. I'm gonna make watermelon wine.

7. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Ditto! GREAT Advice in the book.

8. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Yuh... I have goaties now. They are escape artists, BUT talking about income potential, and supply and demand in your neck of the woods....
    Have a great day, sweetie

9. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Yuh... I have goaties now. They are escape artists, BUT talking about income potential, and supply and demand in your neck of the woods....
    Have a great day, sweetie

She called me sweetie!!!! [​IMG]

10. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    How are you planning to ammend your soil? I've had good luck planting winter rye in the fall and then plowing it under in the spring..... kind of a "green" manure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by