1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of Getting a Few Andulasians: Are the roos protective?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minnowey, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I am trying to downsize on my yearly chick order, and I'm not sure whether or not I should scratch Blue Andalusian off my list. Where I live, predators during the day are a big thing and I want to know whether the Andalusian roos are generally kind+protective of the hens/overly aggressive towards other roos. Thanks in advance:
    Minnowey

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

In my experience, the more docile breed roos are the best. We had a Buff orp roo, and he was gentle with the ladies, took wonderful care of them, and when a border collie was after one of our RIR's, he was chasing it. He also charged our great pyr - through a fence, but still! And quite a few other people I've talked to with orp roos say the same; calm, gentle, and very protective. I bet something like a brahma would be a good choice, as well.

If you go look at the reviews for buckeye chickens on here, there's a story of one roo who lured a couple dogs away from his hens. If all buckeyes were like that roo, I would have one.

The most protective breed I've ever seen in person was a game cock. I was picking up a silkie and he was like, "come at me, bro," so if you want the best protection get a game roo. The downside is that he was very rough with the hens.

I can see a blue andalusian being protective. From what I've seen, the more "flighty" breeds tend to be pretty rough with the hens, though, but I bet that, given the higher energy, he would be a great flock guardian.

Hope this helps!, And [​IMG]

3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Thank you. I do have and Orpingtons and some Brahmas, but right now I'm pretty happy with the head rooster, a Cuckoo Maran, who is faster than a coyote(literally). He is also very protective of hens and extremely observant. He notices things 40 or 50 feet away and alerts his hens to them. You pretty much answered my question.

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Okay, good. Glad I could help! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by