1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of getting chicks soon, but travel for a few days at a time!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by photopotter79, Mar 21, 2007.

1. photopotter79

photopotter79 New Egg

Mar 21, 2007
    So were thinking of getting some chicks soon, like in the next month or so. Have a great fenced in yard, very large, and going to build a hen palace. Our problem is that we travel for a few days almost every weekend in the summer...if we got chicks, can they be left with food-water-heat-etc....or is that a chicken no-no??? we were hoping to get them soon, to have fresh eggs come winter....any input/advice will help.

2. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    You can never, never leave chicks for days. You can leave them during the day, but they require 2x a day maitenence.

You CAN leave ADULT chickens alone for 2 or 3 days, but never little chickies - sorry! [​IMG]

3. crazy4daisy

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Quote:A fenced yard won't hold chicks in - you have to have a brooder. They can slip right through any little holes they can find!

4. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with crazy4daisy... chicks can get sick or hurt in a heartbeat and often times just catching a problem early will make a big difference in their chance of survival... pasty butt is an example of a common problem that can mean death if not dealt with quickly! If you have someone that can check in on them a couple times a day it might work out but otherwise I wouldn't leave chicks for a few days... jmo.

5. photopotter79

photopotter79 New Egg

Mar 21, 2007
    yeah i know to have a brooder---thats not what i meant about the yard, just saying they will have luxurious free range territory when older...im guessing we will have to wait until late fall to get the chicks although not ideal.

6. crazy4daisy

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Good choice - it's probably better to wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by