THINKING OF GETTING DUCKS, WHICH BREED SHOULD i CHOOSE? HELP!

KV Silkies

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 1, 2013
Southern Wisconsin
hi, we live in the country and have a pond about 1/4 acre in size and no water fowl, which is probably a crime... I'd like to get some ducks this year, or geese, or both, just wondering on what is recommended.... I am open to any suggestions, please help. :) thanks!

you should click the sticky above the thread it will help

but what are you wanting in a duck? do you want friendly? good layers? or does it not matter and you just want pretty ducks?

If you decide to get geese also, get sebastopols :). They are gorgeous, calm, friendly and (did I mention) GORGEOUS!

I don't have any (I only have ducks) but I am trying to convince my parents to let me get some.

I have cayugas and buff and a magpie. All are very friendly and pretty :).

I just want something fun for the pond... I was looking at sebastopols also.... they are just gorgeous!

They are beautiful on both the pond and on land :). On a pond they look like a floating cloud, just gorgeous.

That is a good question, but I think it's going to come down to your own personal preference.

The Metzer Farms website has an excellent duck comparison chart to best see what fits your style. I picked Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin for their look, calmness, and because they are endangered. My family sees them too much as pets to eat the birds, but I do intend to cook with duck eggs once they start laying. "Foraging Ability" and "Mothering" caught my eye as well as I figure it means low maintenance as they can take care of themselves. Ideally, I'd like to let them forage for their own food most of the time with me providing store bought food as a supplement to their diet.

Permaculture, sustainable agriculture, county fairs and farmers markets come to mind as possible long term goals once I've established my flock. I just started my hobby farm last Fall.

In the end, you get what you like, go with your feelings.

Enjoy,
Rich

That is a good question, but I think it's going to come down to your own personal preference.

The Metzer Farms website has an excellent duck comparison chart to best see what fits your style. I picked Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin for their look, calmness, and because they are endangered. My family sees them too much as pets to eat the birds, but I do intend to cook with duck eggs once they start laying. "Foraging Ability" and "Mothering" caught my eye as well as I figure it means low maintenance as they can take care of themselves. Ideally, I'd like to let them forage for their own food most of the time with me providing store bought food as a supplement to their diet.

Permaculture, sustainable agriculture, county fairs and farmers markets come to mind as possible long term goals once I've established my flock. I just started my hobby farm last Fall.

In the end, you get what you like, go with your feelings.

Enjoy,
Rich
thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom