Thinking of getting into quails any tips?

Pics

morganalefae

Head nut at the nut house
6 Years
May 2, 2017
Leicestershire UK
I have owned chickens for about 6 years now an i love them but multiple factors are having me look at other ways to get eggs and maybe meat (mostly eggs tho). I have seen a few youtube videos of homesteaders and preppers having quail they make them sound so easy.

I know eggs are not very big it looks like 3 or 4 would equal a medium size chicken egg. They mature and start laying quicker then chickens and some claim quail eggs taste better. Not to mention the hatching eggs are cheaper and easier to get a hold of then some of the chicken hatching eggs i wanted which is surprising.

But i want to hear the tips and stories from actual quail owners. Also books i did a quick look but i dont know why but most seem to have very low reviews so anyone know some good books? I have heard of Urban Quail Keeping by Karen J Puddephatt but that seems to be the only decent reviewed book if that makes sense.

Any info, stories, tips, tricks etc are greatly appreciated.

I would definably say yes to quail! I love mine so much for so many reasons...the health benefits of the eggs are amazing. Studies are being done all over the world and we are learning new things all the time. I started raising them because the man in my life almost died from a heart problem. Quail eggs got his blood work turned around. My allergies were out of control, I was even hospitalized they were so bad, those little protein bombs have made a huge difference! I'm a total believer.
Also, these are sweet, cute , easy to raise birds with great personalities, fun to watch and the colors are amazing.
The only negative is the high protein food can be expensive and in some places difficult to find. They do stop laying in the winter without artificial light as well.

I hope you go for it!

I would definably say yes to quail! I love mine so much for so many reasons...the health benefits of the eggs are amazing. Studies are being done all over the world and we are learning new things all the time. I started raising them because the man in my life almost died from a heart problem. Quail eggs got his blood work turned around. My allergies were out of control, I was even hospitalized they were so bad, those little protein bombs have made a huge difference! I'm a total believer.
Also, these are sweet, cute , easy to raise birds with great personalities, fun to watch and the colors are amazing.
The only negative is the high protein food can be expensive and in some places difficult to find. They do stop laying in the winter without artificial light as well.

I hope you go for it!
I do want to its just talking the hubby into it 😂 thats why im telling him the pros lol. Ah that reminds me i need to contact our local feed store to see if they carry quail or game bird feed thanks for reminding me 🙂

I do want to its just talking the hubby into it 😂 thats why im telling him the pros lol. Ah that reminds me i need to contact our local feed store to see if they carry quail or game bird feed thanks for reminding me 🙂
Coturnix quail do not require any more protein than chickens. they have been domesticated as long as chickens and have evolved to do well on the same diet.

Back
Top Bottom