Thinking of getting quail and have questions

appalachi

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting some Cortunix quail. These would just be pets, I'd like just a few to start with for now.
If I could get some information and basic advice, it'd be very appreciated!
I was thinking of having a walk-in pen so I could go and hang out with the little birds sometimes, and give them plants to peck at, ground to forage on, etc.
Is that a realistic option for quail?
Are there any kits or plans I could get for a pen? Or are there some easy DIY guides anyone could recommend?
I live in WV and our winter temps have been in the low teens on occasion, would the birds need something for heat at those temperatures? My friend has chickens and they dont need a heat lamp or anything, I thought the quail may be more delicate.
Thank you.

Yes, you can fit many quail happily in a walk-in aviary. Most make do with a rabbit hutch or even a prefab chicken hutch, but be aware they are strictly ground birds and don't need a perch.

We've just recently gotten a pair of coturnix due to some unexpected california 'guests' in the brooder and have them all out in the aviary now. They have a nice little lean-to shelter to keep them dry and I've added a netting doorway to serve as a double-door entry to avoid any escapees though nobody's rushed the door so far and our coturnix are not big on flying like their cali cousins. We are in a very mild climate, so I can get away without a fort knox coop, but yes. They seem to enjoy the space and I can pop out there and have space to sit with them.

Just be mindful, the chicks are 'tiny!' and good flyers once they start feathering in, so unless you plan on bringing in adults, be ready with a pretty fine meshed brooder and small access point.

I ended up using one if those fabric and mesh cat carriers that fold up, with one side opened just enough to wrap around my heat lamp cage and used the other for taking them in and out.

I'd recommend learning the small bird passerine hold for handling: first and middle fingers curled around either side of the bird's neck with other fingers wrapped under the body. Wings should be restricted by your palm and feet dangling free. They'll wriggle out of everything else.

Hi there. An aviary for quail is very doable, although you’ll be hunting for eggs under plants and litter. They don’t lay in a nest box usually, just drop their eggs wherever. I found that anything my chickens like to eat quail do too. The advantage is that many plants grow too tall for them to completely kill, but anything at their level will be bare. Game bird feed works well for them as adults. Make sure nothing can dig in or drop in from the top, if you’re doing an aviary it needs to be about 6 feet tall so they don’t bonk their heads and kill themselves when they flush from cover. My quail did use structures I put in the aviary but their favorite spot was a pile of brush I made for them in one corner. Also, one rooster to five plus hens just like chickens.

Have fun, quail are super easy..

I was thinking of having a walk-in pen so I could go and hang out with the little birds sometimes, and give them plants to peck at, ground to forage on, etc.
The reason I don't have quail,,, is;; they would escape and fly away. I do not have room for a large walkin run, with overhead cover. My chicken run is very large,, but there are spots/areas that are not totally covered above.
So here is my view of the setup for you. . Enclosed aviary, (also called run) of your size choice. Inside, a box type cage to house them overnight. You may need to place them there each evening. I do not know if quail will choose to go there by themselves. The box can be in the fashion of a pigeon loft...
So that brings me to my second suggestion. Have you considered pigeons as pets. There are many breeds available. You would be able to keep them in same setup I mentioned,,, with the added bonus. You could let them chill in the back yard with you,,, and they would not escape. Some training would be required to teach them to return to their loft,, but not rocket science.
I only kept White homing pigeons, but there are really nice Fancy breeds that may spark your interest.
Since you are in WV,, there is a pigeon keeper probably near you. She raises beautiful pigeons,, and may possibly be convinced to sell you a couple. Yes @WVduckchick ,, those are your beauties I clipped from your images.
1644360126406.png

A loft like this would work for the amount of pets you want to keep. Pigeons, or quail.
1644360511397.png

Build your aviary around this or adjacent to.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

@cavemanrich thanks for the tag. I do have plenty of pigeons! Come get some! Lol

I hatched quail a few years ago, but ended up giving them away after a few months (husband health crisis and I didn’t have anything built for them). I kept them in a pre-fab chicken coop for those months and it worked out fine. I hatched them in February 2016, and kept them inside in a large tote (screen on top, as they learn to escape very young - 10 days, I think?) and took them outside in mid-March. I don’t remember how cold that year was, but they slept in the upper part of the coop, and I don’t think I provided any heat. I’ve wanted to hatch more of them, but haven’t done so yet.

I’m in Wood county, if there is anything I can help you with, feel free to contact me. I have 6 breeds of chickens, a large flock of Call ducks, and satinette pigeons.

@cavemanrich and @WVduckchick
I've never thought of keeping pigeons before!
Are they easy to care for, what are they like?
And I cant believe I've already found a WVian here, hi neighbor lol!

@igorsMistress
I have an allergy to chicken eggs and may not be able to eat quail eggs either!
I would be raising them strictly as pets, to just watch and listen to them being adorable little birds.
Honestly I love the idea of growing plants for them to nibble on.
Do they enjoy kitchen scraps like chickens do? My friends have chickens and they are basically feathered garbage disposals for them lol

@Lizzy733
Thank you for all the good information.
And thats exactly what I'd love to do, just sit and visit with them. Especially when Im taking a break after working in the garden.
I'd probably prefer to get adult birds over eggs but Im not sure that will be an option. I dont see any local sellers for juvenile or grown quail so I'll likely have to hatch some.
Its a little intimidating since they are so so very tiny.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice!

@cavemanrich and @WVduckchick
I've never thought of keeping pigeons before!
Are they easy to care for, what are they like?
And I cant believe I've already found a WVian here, hi neighbor lol!

@igorsMistress
I have an allergy to chicken eggs and may not be able to eat quail eggs either!
I would be raising them strictly as pets, to just watch and listen to them being adorable little birds.
Honestly I love the idea of growing plants for them to nibble on.
Do they enjoy kitchen scraps like chickens do? My friends have chickens and they are basically feathered garbage disposals for them lol

@Lizzy733
Thank you for all the good information.
And thats exactly what I'd love to do, just sit and visit with them. Especially when Im taking a break after working in the garden.
I'd probably prefer to get adult birds over eggs but Im not sure that will be an option. I dont see any local sellers for juvenile or grown quail so I'll likely have to hatch some.
Its a little intimidating since they are so so very tiny.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice!
Where about are you located?
I just set some quail eggs today.

Back
Top Bottom