Thinking of getting some Coturnix Quail- have never kept Quail before

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mrwoodboat, Dec 22, 2013.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I have an 8' foot space between my shop and my pheasants' aviary that I am thinking of would work well for some quail cages. It is protected on 3 sides (shop, aviary and dog kennel) and I feel I could put two cages 2' wide by 6' long there.
    My questions are: can I use 1/2 welded wire on the bottom? Is chicken wire suitable for the sides (the top would be metal) How tall should I make the cages- it is my understanding that Coturnix are more ground oriented) I plan on putting a box in each cage for them to get in if they want.
    From what I have read here, it sounds like I could house 1 male with 3 hens in each cage, is that correct?

Thanks for any input...

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    The 1/2" welded wire would be sufficient (I recommend the 16 gauge stuff), but I can't recommend chicken wire for the sides. Hardware cloth would be sufficient.
    James

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 on the chicken wire. It is not very durable and can be chewed thru by a persistent varmint.

If you are keeping them in cages, about 1 foot high is the recommended height so they can not flush up into it easily. If you want an aviary style environment, 6 to 7 feet on the ceiling would be needed.

Do not keep any less than 3 females with one male as he can mate them to death, 4 or 5 is preferred.

Good luck in your quail adventures!

4. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    I picked up my Coturnix - I ended up with 2 trios- one trio is Tuxedos and the other I forget what he called them, they are a good deal lighter in color. I have them in a brooderbox that is 30" x 48" and 24" tall to keep a watch on them for a week or so before putting them into the big pens. Such calm and docile little birds!

5. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    Both trios are housed in a pen that is 24" x 48" x 24" sitting on my back screened in porch. Everyone seems to be getting along ok or at least I have not noticed any friction yet. My plan is to separate the trios into two different enclosures but it has been so cold, I feel better with them on the porch for now.
    My question is this- how will I know when breeding season is approaching? Do the males start calling or strutting? I am sure I will have them in the big pens before that comes about. The guy I got them from kept them in large groups with multiple males but since this is 2 males and 4 females, I imagine there would be problems when breeding season comes around...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by