Thinking of making the jump to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I really want a new computer. This one is about 8 years old and runs XP. My problem is compatibility with programs I HAVE to use for work. I work online and get to use my own equipment BUT the work I generate has to be compatible with their software without causing them glitches. The kicker is that they are STILL using Word 2000!!!!! So my question is: Will Windows 7 be able to run Word 2000?

I do know that if I were using Word 2000 and they were using Word 2007, my work would not cause them any problems BUT if I am running Word 2007, they cannot read it on their Word 2000. Some of Word 2007's features cause them glitches. I know this because we tried it and it was a MESS to fix. Sooooo....I cannot upgrade my Word program. I'm stuck with Word 2000. Am I also stuck with XP or can I buy a new laptop with Windows 7 and still manage to run Word 2000?

Please somebody tell me this can work? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My computer is starting to groan with age and I really WANT a new one!

[​IMG]

Rusty

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You can save docs as a .doc. They do not have to saved as .docx. Do file, save as and then choose Word 2000 or .doc. I deal with this on a daily basis. We have Office 2007 and it seems no one else on the planet does, and now Office 2010 trial is available!!!!

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If your computer is very old and does not have enough RAM it could really slow your computer down. However, I switched to Windows 7 a couple years ago and I love it. If your computer has 1 GB of RAM or less, I would add some more. It is something I just did with my laptop and I should have done it a long time ago! It was so easy and my five year old computer is running like new again.

As for Word 2000, you should be able to open those files with any version. My Word usually converts files for my automatically, but you can save a file like Debi said so that you can open it on any older version of word.

4. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Quote:Actually I think my problem is the 8 years of updates that are on here. I have MAYBE one gig of my own stuff. The rest is updates to XP and the handful of programs I actually have. This thing is 78% full! I have 1 gig of RAM and 50 gigs on the hard drive. And since I have no idea what I can safely throw away, the whole system gets bogged down from the sheer amount of stuff hiding on that poor hard drive. That and the AVG that insists on updating every time I turn this on! I even changed the settings on it and it STILL updates every time, which slows the system down so much that I cannot work on anything until it is done.

Plus this is a desktop and I really, really want a laptop. I just cannot afford to go out and buy all new software AND a new laptop. So I am trying to pinch some pennies.

[​IMG]

Rusty

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  5. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    windows 7 should be able to run office 2000, but you can also use a newer version and just save your files as .doc instead of .docx. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to file formats, so I tend to save files as both, as well as PDF, just to make sure whoever its intended for can open it.

I highly recommend Windows 7. You did the smart thing by not upgrading a few years ago when Vista was out. That was a big mistake for Microsoft. You're probably better off at this point getting a new computer with at least 2 gb ram, and at least 120 gb hard drive. Thats kind of minimum these days.

One thing I would warn against if you plan on purchasing a laptop. I haven't gotten one to last more than two years lately. Desktops are great because you can upgrade hardware as needed, and easily replace parts that wear out. Laptops are more difficult, but not impossible. I just don't like opening them up, so when my warranty expires and the computer stops working, I tend to get a new one. You can get a good laptop for under $500 if you watch sales. The next month is the best time to look, with the back to school sales. Look into extended warranties, they are well worth the investment, if even to just avoid dealing with the manufacturer.

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Thank you! As you can see, I don't have much of clue!

[​IMG]

Rusty

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I am so tired I thought you were telling all of BYC that you were going to jump out the window at 7. I really need a nap. [​IMG]

8. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I don't know about Word 2000, but my Windows 7 runs Word 2003 just fine. I know how you feel. I had my old laptop since 2004 and only replaced it this January. I was pretty wary about getting a new computer, but my old one was making so much noise and I was afraid it might just up and combust into flames one day. I finally made the switch to a new Windows 7 laptop and I honestly love it so much. Easy to navigate, not many glitches or bugs, and it runs like a dream.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you only have one GB of RAM, I would suggest upgrading to at LEAST two. I put 4 into my computer and it is amazing. I just searched for my computer and the type of RAM it takes and then ordered it from Newegg.com. There are also tons of videos showing you how to change the RAM. I'm not all that computer saavy and all I needed was a screwdriver to change mine (I have a laptop, but I've heard desktops are easier). It cost me about $50 for the 4 GB of memory.

As for the virus software, I would get rid of the AVG. We had some issues with that back when my dad had it on the home computer. On my laptop I had so many problems with virus software slowing down my computer. Finally I switched to Avast! and it has been wonderful. It is free and you can download it right off the internet. Beats spending a ton of money each year!

How much hard drive space do you have on your computer? If you are almost full, I would just purchase an external hard drive and store all of your stuff on there. That way it backs up your computer and you get a bunch more instant space by just plugging in the hard drive. You can get a huge one for less than $100.

It's definitely cheaper to do those two things than to buy a new computer. However, I wouldn't discourage a laptop. I've had my Toshiba Satellite going on five years now and the RAM upgrade has made it work better than ever. I've taken very good care of it over the years though. My friends who don't take care of their computers like I do usually get about one or two years out of their laptops.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have a HP laptop with Vista programs. I enjoyed it! The laptop will be two years old I believe and it is still going strong. It gets six hours of use almost daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by