thinking of meaties in the suburbs **UPDATE** I ordered them!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jdywntr, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So, I have had chickens for about 1.5 years and have had ducks for 1 year. I recently processed my excess muscovy drakes and I am thinking of ordering some cornish X.

I really only want 10-15 but I can get 25 for less than I can get 10 and thought I could put the excess on craigslist. If they don't sell then I could process 10 or so as cornish game hens at 4 weeks. I was going to build a moveable 7X7 pen for them.

I live in the suburbs. I have researched them and their care and think that I can deal with the mess. What do you think of this?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Something a friend just told me yesterday - they're a group of 4-H families who did a science project for egg hatching (incubating). Once the chicks hatched, they didn't know what to do with 'em. So someone from the group knew someone who offered to take the chicks that folks hatch for egg projects. Apparently, it's a great way to get 'free' chicks. Now, if you're specifically looking for meat birds - that might be trickier.
    Just an idea....

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I have switched to raising my CornishX to @35 days of age for Cornish Game hens. This starategy avoids the majority of the " mess". and I get to enjoy fabulous meals much sooner with many a day off from actual hard work , eliminate losses to next to nothing, and at the same time, save $$$s on feed .[​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What an interesting idea, I never would have thought of that. I was going to order some more Cornish X, but I really didnt want to put another 25 huge birds in the freezer. Might be worth doing to put half in as cornish hens.

Hmmm.....

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    This is what I am thinking I will do. I'm building a pen for them this weekend and will decide when to order them. (I have six 2 week old ducklings in an outdoor brooder now.)

I'm thinking I may order just females. I can process some as game hens and let the rest grow to broilers. That way I don't need to worry about crowing.
    Anyone who has had them, any difference other than size between males and females?

6. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I raised Cornish X last spring and fall. The males didn't crow almost until processing day (7-8 weeks). The one that crowed said: "Cock-a-doodle-doo, I want to go first!" [​IMG]

Males dressed out at 7 lbs. and females at 6 lbs.

Good luck!

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive always gotten straight run. The size difference isnt that significant. Interestingly enough, even tho the last batch went to 11 weeks old, I never heard a single crow from any of them.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I would be sure to have a tractor for them, not a stationary pen. Thats the way I raised a dozen and it worked well so long as I was moving it every day. The back here is a bit over 1/4 acre and that was plenty of room, I didn't even use half the yard with them. Leave them in one place for 2 days and you'll have an awful mess. My tractor is 4x10, just a framework of pvc with chicken wire over it. I was concerned about predators but at least the yard has a good fence and evidently the possums round here are fed well enough not to attack them.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks everyone. I am building a movable pen for them. I do think I will just order pullets and I think I may just keep them all and process half as game hens. Now to pick a date. [​IMG]

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    *********************UPDATE*********************

I ordered 25 cornish rock X pullets from Welp Hatchery this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will be shipping on 3/14 arriving on 3/16 (hopefully). I had to call Welp because their site says that they ship on Mon and Wed and I needed to find out when to take off from work. They said they ship on Mon to local areas and Wed to further states. I thought that was a little weird only because if there is a shipping problem, those of us in further states have to deal with weekends.

I am so excited!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by