Thinking of Moving...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NewHopePoultry, Jun 18, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Me and my husband have been thinking about moving to a different state.
    We currently live in Missouri. Ive lived in the same town my whole life and my husband has lived in the same area his whole life.
    I just want a fresh start.

We want to move to a States that prohibit breed specific legislation:

*California
    *Colorado
    *Florida
    *Illinois
    *Maine
    *Minnesota
    *New Jersey
    *New York
    *Oklahoma
    *Pennsylvania
    *Texas
    *Washington

since we both have a love for bully breeds. We want to move to an area that has good job openings. My husband does maninly labor jobs at factory, but has has done work with troubled youth and on farms (He grew up on a farm)

We wont be able to move until early next year, but we want to get a head start on looking.
    Any one have any suggestions

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    All I can say is don't move to new york I live in new york and I hate it I can't even get a job If it were me I'd choose California or Texas. thats just my opinion though

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    One day in the future - I'd like to move as well. We need a place that has lower property taxes and is easier for race horse people to survive.

My advice would be to look at Craigslist in different states/areas to see how much rent is. I don't know if you intend on purchasing a house or renting - but it would be an interesting view of what different places cost. New Jersey is expensive. The whole north east is expensive. If we were to move out of state - I'd look at Delaware first.

What exactly is breed specific legislation? Are there rules against bully breeds? In what capacity?

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I live in TN, but was born and raised in Florida...

FLORIDA is my vote... I miss it [​IMG]

Plan on moving back next year... wanted to this year, but the storms did too much damage to my house and property... going to take a year to fix it up (If I'm lucky [​IMG] )

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Reading your post is hilarious to me. I have lived in California all my life and we are moving to Missouri. [​IMG]

I can tell you this about CA. It is an expensive state and we CA people are really weird. San Bernardino County is about the only county in the state that doesn't have a bunch of nut jobs. We make up for it by housing convicts. We have some seriously gorgeous weather, I can ski in the morning and see a sunset at the beach at night, and then there are the avocados, seafood and authentic Mexican food.

All in all, we are both sick of the people that run this state and the weirdos that live here.

6. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    We own our current home, but we are planning on renting if we move since we get his parents house once they pass away.
    Ive been looking on craglists and trying to find some good places to look into.

I dont think we will be looking into California then [​IMG]

I actually love living in Missouri and wouldfnt mind just moving away from the town we live in, but my husband wants to move out of state.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Ken told me to let you know he has lived both places and to stay put. [​IMG]

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You do not want Oregon the whole state is ruled by Portland city folk who have no idea of country life, the rural/urban divide is horrible and if you mean laws against raising pit bull, exotic pets and such this is not the place. You can legally have your doctor kill you here, get a medical marijuana card, get free healthcare, taxpayer funded gender reassignment, well... lets just say it is beautiful here but expensive to live here unless you are homeless.

9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Oh yikes
    We would want to move someone with friendly country people.
    Never mone of us has lived in a town with over 3000 people in it. We like small county towns

10. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Quote:Ken told me to let you know he has lived both places and to stay put. [​IMG]

I might have to listen to him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by