Thinking of raising Bobwhite quail in Eastern Panhandle of WV

Discussion in 'Quail' started by teamlauder, Dec 20, 2010.

1. teamlauder

teamlauder Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi there! I'm wanting to raise a few Bobwhite Quail. First I'm wondering if there is anyone in the Eastern Panhandle of WV that raises and sells quail. I'm also trying to figure out how many males to females I should have. One male and three females maybe? Any other advice you could give me would be great. I'm going to wait until the spring to do this, so I have lots of time to plan. [​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    1 males to 3 hens is fine!! [​IMG]
    I like to keep one male per pen.
    A pair is also good!!

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    ALSO [​IMG]
    I like to keep younger birds on wire until 10 weeks, and after that, on ground. They [​IMG] trees to hide in!!
    Any other questions?

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Bobwhite Quail Lover do you worm your quail?

5. teamlauder

teamlauder Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Well, I know nothing about the wire. Could you tell me more about that? I raise chickens and I thought quail would be similar, but I'm thinking other than them both being poultry, that they don't have anything in common.

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:No, should I?

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:They need a quarter inch wire on the bottom

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN

If you keep them on the ground you need to worm them pretty often. As for wire size 1/2 inch is better because the poop will fall through

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:SEX RATIO DEPENDS GREATLY ON THEIR ACCOMODATIONS--- IN SMALLER PENS PAIRS WORK BEST, IN LARGER OPEN COLONIES YOU CAN GET BY WITH 1:3 RATIO.

BIRDS ARE BEST KEPT ON 1/2 X 1/2 HARDWARE CLOTH WIRE FLOORING ---PERMANENTLY. THIS HELPS GREATLY REDUCE PARASITE AND INFECTIOUS DISEASE PROBLEMS. BIRDS ON THE GROUND TEND TO BE MUCH MORE AT RISK OF INFECTION SUCH AS ENTERITIS, COCCYDIOSIS, ENCEPHALITIS, AND PARASITES AS WELL AS CORYZA AND ANY OTHER POULTRY DISEASE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE OTHER POULTRY (AS YOU HAVE ALREADY STATED).

EASTERN WV PANHANDLE? LIKE FAIRMONT? MORGANTOWN? BRUCETON MILLS, CHEAT ROCK? SNED A PM TO TONY KT HERE AND SEE IF HE KNOWS ANYBODY UP THERE... HE'S FAIRLY WELL CONNECTED IN THE GAMEBIRD WORLD AND MAY HAVE IDEAS FOR A SUPPLIER FOR YOU. ALSO CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS CAREFULLY, THERE'S A POSTING IN THE STICKY HERE THAT CAN TAKE YOU TO YOUR STATE'S FISH AND WILDLIFE DEPT. CLICK ON THE "QUAIL NOTABLE ARCHIVES" STRING AND YOU'LL SEE THE POSTING IN THERE

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

TOBY! YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN! YOU DONT EVEN KNOW GENERAL ANIMAL HUSBANDRY FOR YOUR BIRDS BUT ARE DOLING OUT ADVICE TO A NEW MEMBER!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by