1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of Raising Chickens on Long Island

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by annelongisland, Feb 20, 2015.

1. annelongisland

annelongisland New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    Hello all, I am considering getting a few chickens to raise in my backyard. I live in Babylon on Long Island. Does anyone raise chickens in the area? I'd like to visit a backyard setup and pick your brain. Also, anyone in the area have a favorite chick and supply store? Thanks in advance.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Drop by the learning centre for some great articles on getting started with your chicken adventure. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck with finding other chicken people in your area in the link NorthFLChick has left for you.
    Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Greetings! Welcome to BYC! Feel free to browse around the site. It is a great resources and I'm sure you will find answers to all your questions here!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You'll save yourself a lot of heartache if you check with the city or town hall and find out IF it is legal to have chickens FIRST. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck with getting your first flock. Do follow drumstick diva's advice and check ordinances first. For ideas I would suggest spending time in the coop/run sections, there are so many great examples there. And do explore the learning center articles. There may be some coop tours in your area, try a google search? But, just because someone has a coop and chickens doesn't always mean they are the best example to follow, research it for yourself to see what suits your style and offers the optimum way to raise your flock.

Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

Hope you can get your own flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by