1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of reducing my feed costs with fodder!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jphendrix, Feb 24, 2014.

1. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Someone told me about fodder today and I have started doing research. What do you guys think about fodder. I would love to be able to save half or more on my feed!

2. escape

escape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    It costs very little to jump in and make your own fodder.

Do a google search for "fodder for chickens". You will find tons of information.

I got an ebook from amazon.com that helped me a lot. It has all the information I needed all in one little package that I can take to the barn with me. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Easy-DIY-Fodder-System-ebook/dp/B00HT59G0E

Hope this helps. I don't think you will regret growing fodder. We have six chickens and our temps have been hovering at zero sonce the first of January. We are still getting six beautiful eggs a day. Fodder has helped our horses too.

3. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thank you very much! I have been all over youtube and other sites trying to research this. I don't think I will regret it! I have 35 adult chickens in the big coop, 7 chicks abt 2 mo old in the little pen and 8 1 weeks old chicks in the brooder, also 24 eggs in the incubator due to hatch next week. Our feed cost is high and if I can do this the way I'd like I can dramatically cut my costs.

4. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Here are some photos of my new set up. I bought a greenhouse with selves at Big Lots for only $100. Bought a bag of oats at the feed store because they didn't have barley or wheat but said they could get some. So I will be getting that when it comes in. What do ya'll think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is just the beginning and I hope to grow enough to feed my chickens and my parents rabbits.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. Mrspanzer

Mrspanzer New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Pasco County, Tampa Bay
    I live in Tampa Bay area; there are plenty of local feed barns however, none carry barley. I located an online seed distributor who happens to be based in Tampa- but they ship anywhere. They sell Atlantic barley seed by the pound or in my case, 50 lb sack for less than 26 bucks. Seed World USA

6. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    I was able to talk to my local feed store and they said they could order some barley for me. Not sure when it'll be in. Our first batch We used scratch grain and corn, they are already starting to sprout, and we started them soaking night before last!

7. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Shipping has got to be a killer on this though. Thoughts? [​IMG]

8. Mrspanzer

Mrspanzer New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Pasco County, Tampa Bay
    Their website would define shipping rates..

9. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    I went to one website, and the shipping to where I live is close to the same price as the feed itself.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In other words the price per pound is about the same or more than the price of a dozen eggs at your local grocery store. By law a dozen large eggs must weigh 24 or more ounces. That is one and a half pounds per dozen eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by