Thinking of rocking the boat

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
Prepare yourself, this is not what you think.

I live in the country and love my flock.

My business is in a rural town and has ordinances that do not allow chickens or other fowl. Fine for now, until I want to retire to town I guess.

BUT there is a "minority" family that refuses to obey any city ordinances and calls DISCRIMINATION if anyone says anything about anything such as their 6 foot tall deck with no railing or their hording of pit bulls.

Well, they have chickens this year. And while I applaud people having laying hens in town, I don't see the reason for a crowing roo in town.

The city is scared. They always are. My ploy for the weekend is to build a small coop in the front lawn of my shop and put 2 roo's in there. (they are brothers who have been cooped together for a year already (no fighting)).

Should I do it???

I will either A) get rid of the illegal chickens in town and be a hero OR
B) Just be an @ss and get myself in trouble.

Anyone else been in this position? I can either ignore this or get involved. If it was law abiding people I would just defend their right to have hens, but obviously, they just want to do what they want. In that case I feel I should also make an example of our city's enforcement of the laws by trying to do the same. (illegal activity)

It has been over a month and nothing has been "officially" done.

Very very touchy ground, I have found that in these cases there are no winners and more problems.

AL

Are you sure they're not allowed some chickens?

A lot of big cities allow some chickens with stipulations, such as: a "maximum amount of chickens", or "chickens are allowed but no roosters", or "chickens for eggs is allowed, but not for butchering", or even "henhouse must be xxx distance from any other buildings".

Anyway, I'd think you'd be working on trying to get the law tweaked to allow you to have chickens in town when you're ready to move?

preppy*hippie*chick :

I say leave it too. If it continues, the whole town will be up in arms and the city will have to do something. Maybe they'll legalize chickens and ban the roos.

Well... I did have this hero's thought of changing the ordinances
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom