Thinking of Selling the Ducks...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pips&peeps, Mar 2, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have 15 runners and they have totally destroyed my garden area since I rescued them from certain death last summer.

Everything is muddy, muddy, muddy. Did I tell you it's muddy?

It's bad enough with the sebastopols, but the ducks dig holes in the dirt where it is wet and pull up all the roots and just leave a terrible mess.

Anyone have any ideas. Is there a better way to keep them? They free range in my garden area during the day. It is about 1/2 an acre in size and go inside at night. But like I said they have eaten everything that holds down the muck. I don't feel I would be succesful at reseeding anything with them here.

I don't know, maybe it's just that time of year because all the snow is melting and it looks terrible.

Thanks,

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. I hear they are messy but I don't personally have any. Maybe Terrielacy will have better advice since she has ducks.

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    LOL, I have about 40 ducks but I let them do what ever they want. They have free reign over the yard. I guess you could designate a duck only area.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    We did a little cross fencing so that we could control what area the ducks are destroying on any given day.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by