Thinking of starting to raise geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gmendoza, Jul 8, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    toulouse geese by the way.

Anyone raise these on byc?

I dont need a history lesson,just friendly advice.

Thank you in kind.

2. Geese are so much fun! I love my chickens, but my geese have my heart -- they are so funny and yet dignified. One of the things I love about them is that they are so easy to raise. You only have to brood them for 6 weeks or so - maybe less depending on the temperatures where you live at the time of year that you have goslings. They eat unmedicated chick starter or waterfowl feed if you can find it. They need LOTS of water, but aren't quite as messy as ducks/ducklings. They need company -- so two geese will do better . . . and a fence to keep the dogs away. When they grow up, they need a safe fenced area, lots of grass or some grass with supplemental food, and water deep enough to get their heads and necks into -- mine love buckets. That is it! If you have predator problems, they might need a low shed that you can put them into at night, but if left to their own devices, the geese prefer to sleep outside - even in midwinter.

One thing that might disappoint you though, is that this is not a great time of year to find goslings -- geese lay mostly from January to May. BUT, if you keep checking craigslist, you may be able to find some half grown goslings near to you, or even a pair. That is nice because then you could look forward to your own goslings next year. I found a pair of Toulouse that way.

Geese don't care about breed -- they know they are geese! The main difference in breeds for people is egg laying, and temperament, but I've heard of friendly geese in almost every breed. I would think that Toulouse need the same kind of care as any goose . . . but possibly the giant toulouse need some special things. I am not familiar with them. My toulouse pair is more wary and suspicious than my Buff geese, but the Buffs are about 11 weeks old and grew up here -- the Toulouse are a year old and I got them as adults. They only hiss, and put their neck all down to the ground like a snake. They have never bitten or rushed people though and they now recognize the people that live here and come up to eat out of peoples hands.

The breeding season from January to May can cause the geese to become more aggressive, especially if you have more than one gander -- but some will display and attack even people that they were friendly to.

I am sure there are lots of other people with Toulouse on here . . . you should be able to find out lots of information!

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Wow...you wrapped up about what I know in a nutshell...nice job [​IMG]
    To the OP...I am new to geese this year,I got 2 adults and 3 goslings.Yes,they are pretty easy to care for so far.They do like to hiss when they feel threatened,but so far I have not been bitten(even by the adults I bought).They are really good at mowing the lawn...I provide a kiddie pool for them and they love to bathe in it.They are really cool to watch in the water [​IMG] Have fun with your geese should you purchase some!

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    seen some Toulouse in CG in Monroe. Might get a male and 2 females,plus I have to go there because i need a chocolate muscovy drake.

Aiming my duck coop to be a duck-a-geese-a-guinea-a-turkey coop

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    If you get the geese as goslings you can have them imprint on you which would really make them friendly. They are less messy then ducks that's for sure. Any veggies in the garden you need to get rid of the goose is for you. Mine are just over 3 months old and I just love them to death. They don't hiss but my boy honks once in a while. The girl hasn't honked. They chatter throughout the day and come running to me with wings wide open screaming like little girls when they are scared. Don't get me wrong, I love my chickens, ducks and turkeys but there is something about my Sebs. Great personalities I guess. Good luck. I am also thinking of doing the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by