1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of trying to breed some chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EcoKitty, Aug 24, 2014.

1. EcoKitty

EcoKitty New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi I'm looking for help and advice on encouraging my chickens to hatch chicks.
    I have two girls (dont know the breeds one is all black and the other is all brown) and have just acquired a rooster and want to encourage them to increase my flock.
    The chickens are not broody so far (I never catch them sitting on eggs). Will having the rooster encourage them to become broody? If not is it possible to encourage them to sit or are some chickens just not maternal?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hens are broody or they aren't. Having a rooster isn't going to change that. If anything he will increase their stress level and prevent them from going broody. Just go buy an incubator.

3. EcoKitty

EcoKitty New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok thanks. I won't be buying an incubator. If they can't do it naturally I'll just buy some chicks.

4. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    good luck and as i'm a newbie at this,idon't know when or what makes them broody but i'm hoping you get some chick's soon[​IMG]

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's even easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by