Thinking on maybe building an incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 2, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Question: I have a Styrofoam cooler that has 2.5 inch thick walls, top and bottom I am thinking on making an incubator out of it because I feel it will hold temperature better. I am planning on using a stc-1000 thermostat and was wondering what type and watt bulb should I use with it I will also install a PC fan motor for forced air . It is a cooler design to keep insulin refrigerated while in transit so I feel it will do a good job holding heat. I am not going to put a window in it do not want to break the integrity of it holding heat but do need to know about holes for air intake and air exit so the eggs can breathe. I will have elevated pan in it for humidity this will allow for more eggs. It is still in design mode. It will hold between 10 eggs or so. Any suggestions on design would be welcome, it is about 14 to 15 inches square in shape.

2. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    OK ordered a STC 1000 Thermostat for this build have figured out how to match 2 together for inside measurements 19 by 10 1/2 by 8 inches with 2 1/2 inch thick walls integrity not broke deciding on vent holds and what heating element to use.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Ok I have accumalatwd the things I need to build the incubator. Any suggestions on the placement of the 40 watt bulb and computer air fan. Bulb high and fan right below it sound good? How about air intake holes and exit holes? Any help appreciated.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do a google search for Rush Lane Poultry. He has a lot of "how to" videos on building your bator. What are you using for a thermostat? He shows how to do the wiring.

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Ok I have a Stc 1000 and a computer fan and a socket with a 40 watt bulb. I know how to wire it, no problem there. I have the socket and bulb installed was wondering on best spot inside for fan and how many intake vent holes with size and how many exit vent holes with size and maybe where to place them. I think low on the intake and the lid for exit but size and number that I need is what I need to know. The incubator will be completely enclosed by 2 1/2 thick styrofoam.. It is a styrofoam cooler that is that thick. I think it should hold temperature very good.

6. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Thanks for the info went and watched the video got all the info I needed. Will finish my incubator tomorrow with a couple modifications to the window placement. Not wanting to break the integrity of the styrofoam but will have a window when I move the top.

7. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    OK things are coming along as planned this is an incubator being built just for turkey eggs hoping it will hold 18, since it is going to be 2 1/2 inches thick on all walls I am hoping it will hold the temperature steady if it does good I can double it in size by combing two together. I will have to hand turn the eggs manually. I will be able to lift the top off and look through the glass top that will be under the thick top. I might get another stc 1000 thermostat just to monitor the first ones temperature to watch for accuracy if that makes sense. I have a 40 watt bulb in it but may reduce it to 25 or lower if I have to.

8. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I have it wired and running to check settings a little more work and I will give it a trail run with some eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by