1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking out loud...opinions please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Sooooo I had a thought today ducklings and goslings are so darn messy..... And putting them on wood shavings is messy and dusty. I brood all my baby's in the living room [​IMG]

Soooo what if I was to start now and make a brooder with a few inches of dirt and plant grass seed. And water it and let it grow. Then at the end of March when my baby's come they would have a grassy brooder. Any thoughts on this??? Do you think it would work??? Then they would also have grass to nibble on....as fresh as fresh could be.

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I think it's a great idea, but not sure if it's been attempted before. Can't wait to hear feedback on this, it's really a neat idea. I wonder what clean up would entail using that set-up? [​IMG]

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Poop tends to build up on top of grass when it gets pressed down which will make a mess. You also have to be able to clean the pen.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like the concept - it might work best if you can rotate them through - letting the grass rest. I like the fresh grass thing. Which reminds me - I need to sprout some greens and offer it to the ducks - they've been doing well with just some pea treats here and there, but they need some leafy greens soon. Thanks for the reminder!

5. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I have a wild thinking out loud idea, why dont you make a wooden brooder or outaa whatever material and then make/buy atleast like 4 of them and grow grass in them and then everyday change out the brooder to the next grassy one so it will only get a beating from the feet and tummies only 1 day, and then it will have a few days to rest and revive, and then keep alternating, you get what im sayin? so do what you would be doing but make more of them and just swap them out so they are fresh everyday, and can rest....I think that may work, because then there wouldnt be a big build up of poop and they can still have fresh grass all day, everyday! [​IMG]

6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG]

Definetly gonna try something like this in the Spring!

7. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

Definetly gonna try something like this in the Spring!

I would think it would work, especially if you had a small brood so it wasn't very over whelming for the grass..

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I can't wait to see how this works!
    If anyone does this, please keep us posted because those of us that raise ducklings are always looking for a solution to the "messy duckling" syndrome. [​IMG]

9. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I wonder if you'd have to worry about mold and bacteria from watering the grass. I'm picturing the water settling down under the soil and getting rancid.

Michelle

10. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I think if you dont over water it then it wont have rancid water, because the grass will soak it all up...but it is a consideration...maybe this spring if my parents let me hatch a SMALL brood then i could try it, but is anyone does it PLEASE keep us posted, that would be awesome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by