Thinking something may be wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashleyr, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ashleyr

ashleyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    So for the past week or so I've noticed my almost 13 week old EE pullet acting very different. She's usually very hyper and well.. acts like a chicken should. Lately I've caught her standing around and kind of hunching her neck closer to her body. I checked her crop and it has food in it so I'm not worried that she's stopped eating. There will be pictures below. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if they're blurry.

2. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    She could be in shock or she may have a neck injury- do you know if anything has happened that could make her lose her 'spunk'? Is she moving at all? If not then it might be a form of paralysis. Try getting her to move around. Take some scratch out to your chickens and watch her closely. Does she move funny? Has she been sleeping with the other birds at night?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Standing around hunched or puffed up, acting lethargic or sleepy, along with diarrhea can signal coccidiosis. Eventually they can stop eating, then later, drinking. Corid is the treatment, and is found in the cattle section of feed stores. There sometimes can be blood in the stool, and a puffy slow crop with cocci. Here is some info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. ashleyr

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    I actually started treatment (preventive dose) with corid a few days ago because I'm paranoid about that. She only stands like that for a little bit at a time and then will just wander around. I might bring her inside tomorrow so I can watch her more closely.

5. ashleyr

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Oh and btw none of her other flock mates are acting out of the ordinary

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I might bump up the dose to 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, and treat for 5-7 days. It's always best to treat everyone at the same time, since it is contagious.

7. ashleyr

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Okay, thank you :) let's hope she'll be okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by