Thinking these 3 are all boys not sure though hopin someone can help:)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by piggirl19, Dec 9, 2013.

1. piggirl19

piggirl19 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    IN PET LAND! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shadow is the dark colored one ( barred rock i believe)
    Little red is the red colored one ( production red or Rhode Island Red not sure which)
    Lucky is the buff colored one ( I believe he/ she is a buff Orpington not sure though)
    Knowing breeds would be nice too haha I still new at this :) need to know breeds and genders for sure:)

2. piggirl19

Sep 24, 2013
    And yes they live with ducks :) but I have no hens if these are all boys :(

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    The way I tell my males from females is by looking at the saddle feathers. (Saddle feathers are the feathers right before the tail feathers) The roosters have long narrow pointed feathers while the hens have short and rounded feathers. From looking at your pictures I'd say the barred rock is the only one that looks like it could be a rooster to me.

4. piggirl19

Sep 24, 2013
    Wat about the way little reds tail is in the last pic and itbhas green feathers around the neck and on the tail

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're all roosters.

Okay, just to be sure, I should ask how old they are.

The above post about checking for saddle feathers is only good after they're 12-13 weeks old, that's the younger end of the range to start growing hackle/saddle feathers. I'm thinking these guys are younger, and those combs tell the tale. Plus the lighter color of the barred rock is a male characteristic.

6. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    Hard to tell, can you get pics of their backs and tails?

7. piggirl19

Sep 24, 2013
    I got them on sept 22 this year people on here thought they were two weeks at that time :) but yeah I kinda figured they were all boys :/ great I wanted eggs guess that won't happen

8. piggirl19

Sep 24, 2013
    I can get some of therw backs and tails tommorow it's to late to get them tonight

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, all boys. Sorry.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are all cockerels. You can post more photos if you wish, but it isn't going to change. If you wanted eggs, it isn't going to happen from the 3 musketeers or 3 Stooges, depending on how you feel about them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by