Third Broody This Year...Here is Shadow, Day Six

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, May 17, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My lavender banty Cochin, Shadow, is on Day Six with her five eggs. They are all standard breeds, one BR and four BBS Orpingtons. So far, she's doing great for her first time. She is the third girl to go broody this year and hopefully, there will be at least a couple more after her. How many of you have banty Cochins who have gone broody more than once during a one-year period?

[​IMG]

2. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

We've had a broody epidemic here!! I've had 9 hens broody (4 sitting right now, 5 already hatched out babies) and 2 broody ducks!!!![​IMG] One of our banty cochins has hatched out 3 clutches in a year! She is agreat momma, so her place here is secure. 3 of the first 5 broodies were my oldest girl's golden laced banty cochins and they had barely started laying. They were only 7 months old. [​IMG] Good luck with your momma!!!

3. speckledhen

Wow, you're running Broody City! I just told my DH that if any one of our girls is likely to be broody more than once during a year, it would be Shadow.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Maybe Shadow has found her job in life, as a little incubator.

If my banty's go broody again I am breaking them, the last go round with banty broodys here ended badly.

Luckily Copper is being the best mom. I rain out between rain to check on them and she was in the coop with babies all over her.
    May want to watch that with Shadow, after a couple weeks the babies will cover her completely up. [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm tellin' ya speckledhen... You need to get yourself some silkies [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Quote:Now, you know I wanna smack you for that one, LOL. [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Now, you know I wanna smack you for that one, LOL. [​IMG]

LOL Well I guess I deserve that one [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Nah, just kidding! Can you see me with Silkies? GASP! The end of the world must be just around the corner, if you do!

9. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    she is supper cute... I hope everything goes well for you...keep us updated with lots of pics!!!

10. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] Hmm... The end of the world you say? I hope that's not anytime soon.... BUT since you love Barred Rocks so much I wouldn't be surprised if you bought a cuckoo silkie [​IMG]

But like you said.... only if the end of the world is near [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by