Third generation cornish x breeding program

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by uhuh555, May 25, 2010.

1. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    Data from first hatch of Third generation cornish x. Set 379 eggs, hatched 340, one died shortly after hatching and another one on day 2. 338 eat their way to 7 weeks (Roos) 8 weeks (pullets) without incident. Live weights were from a low of 7 pounds 9 ounces to 9 pounds 3 ounces, with an average weight of 8 pounds 5 ounces. Processed weights were from a low of 5 pounds 7 ounces to a high of 6 pounds 12 ounces, with an average of 5 pounds 13 ounces.

Second setting of 316 eggs, hatched 274 all have survived so far. They are 5 weeks 3 days. Progressing along well.

Third setting of 342 eggs netted 293 chicks, one died on day 3. They are now 3 weeks old and eating like cornish x do.

The forth setting 289 eggs, 255 hatched and are 13 days old with no losses.

A fifth setting of 310 eggs due to hatch in 6 days. Candling indicates another good hatch will occur. We won’t count them until……

There isn’t as big of a size difference as in the 2nd generation. The third generation is very active and we had to give a lot of “busy food” for they have a tendency to be more aggressive than the original cornish x chicks. They are more skittish, also.

The breeding program is time consuming, requiring each hen to be AI twice a week in order to get better hatching rates. The semen was collected from a flock of white standard Cornish that has been line breed for 80+ years and it seems to make all the difference in the chick size and finished weights. Using semen from these roos every third generation hopefully will keep the weights consistent without slowing down their growth rates.

We are going to keep 200 hens out of this generation to expand so we get 800+ hatching per week, possibly selling some to off set the cost of breeding program.

Got to get back to work.

2. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:ok, please forgive my newbieness; in my own words: you have taken hatchery stock cornish (second gen hybrids) and bred cornish X roo with cornish X hen for the third generation offspring/eggs that you have described above?

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yes, your info is great, but it would help if you wouldn't mind breaking down for us what your 1st, 2nd and now 3rd generation consisted of.
    thanks! looking forward to hearing & learning more.

4. uhuh555

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    thanks for sharing . . . what do you do with all those extras????

6. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I second that; yeah, what do you do with the surplus feathered creatures? I would buy a mess from ya at a good price.

7. uhuh555

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    This year there are no extras. What we don't keep for the breeding program we process them and trade with others within our (sort of) co-op for things we need. Next year there will be surplus chicks and we will offer them for sale locally for pick-up only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by