Third wheel killed two chicks

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I have three speckled sussex hens, all just over a year. Two of them went broody at the same time and managed to happily hatch their clutch together. However the third hen killed two of the 4 day old chicks. I have them separated now. Do I keep her or get rid of her? I’m all about giving her someone to turn her into soup. My husband thinks it’s just “nature”. I just don’t know if I’ll be able to look at her the same and enjoy her. But if I get rid of her I’m down to two hens and if the chick is a rooster I can’t keep it.

I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place!

I have three speckled sussex hens, all just over a year. Two of them went broody at the same time and managed to happily hatch their clutch together. However the third hen killed two of the 4 day old chicks. I have them separated now. Do I keep her or get rid of her? I’m all about giving her someone to turn her into soup. My husband thinks it’s just “nature”. I just don’t know if I’ll be able to look at her the same and enjoy her. But if I get rid of her I’m down to two hens and if the chick is a rooster I can’t keep it.

I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place!
Don’t get rid of her...that’s what hens will do to chicks. But usually then broody hens protect them. Next time, just remember to seperate the broody hens into a broody “shelter” where they are away from the others just to prevent anything bad happening. Some people don’t, but it could be safer, and you don’t have to remove newly layed eggs because there won’t be any...

Don’t get rid of her...that’s what hens will do to chicks. But usually then broody hens protect them. Next time, just remember to seperate the broody hens into a broody “shelter” where they are away from the others just to prevent anything bad happening. Some people don’t, but it could be safer, and you don’t have to remove newly layed eggs because there won’t be any...
So when is it safe to introduce them again? Can/should I move the one hen out of the coop/run or the two broodies with the chick?

So when is it safe to introduce them again? Can/should I move the one hen out of the coop/run or the two broodies with the chick?
Since you only have 3 chickens, just move 1 broody and the chick. And if the other broody still has eggs, then move them both. Reintroduce them once the broody hens are 100% off the nests. And try to wait till the chicks are older. Better yet, remove any chicks that hatch, set up an indoor brooder for them, and introduce them later.

I don’t have much experience with a broody hen, so this is just personal advice...

Back
Top Bottom