Thirsty Birds and Chicken Nipples Not WORKING

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jenny1, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Has anyone else had this same problem? I bought chicken nipples for my 3 hens. Installed them in a juice bottle. Chickens loved them, I loved them. For 2 days I checked on them several times a day. Then, yesterday I didnt. That evening I went out to check on them one flew out of the coop, found some rainwater collected in a toy and started gulping it down. Yep- chickens can gulp. Finally we figured it out- the waterers looked full, but didnt work because they were sealed and had suction holding the water in. (I had figured they would be like hamster waterbottles- suction is what prevents leaks)

I poked holes in the tops of my waterers. They work again. But I am scared. I am still nervous about taking out the bowl of water (the one I hate because they tip it over or poop in it).

Anyone have experience with this?

2. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    ps- I live in Phoenix.... it is still hot here. So, I need to be sure they are getting water

3. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Jenny,

Yes as you found out they can pressure lock. You solved the problem, they will work fine. Still not a bad idea to press the nipple daily to give you piece of mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by