This arrived in my yard 3 days ago, chicken? Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenfoundme, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chickenfoundme

Chickenfoundme Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

This bird arrived in my yard and is living in our bushes for 3 days. We are on 5+ acres and no neighbors seem to know where the bird came from, we have given it some chicken feed from the store and put down a bowl of water, though I haven't noticed it drinking. We are in northern IL and regularly see coyotes, raccoons and Hawks. It is friendly and we have not heard it make any sounds other than a low grumbly and chirpy sort of sound. I would rather not see it eaten or attacked.

1. Can anyone tell me what breed this is and if it is a chicken or hen?
    2. If I buy a coup and keep it can I introduce 1-2 other chickens and what type should I get?

Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Yes, he's a chicken and a cockerel :) He will definitely need a safe place to live if he's to survive in your area with all those predators. I'd build him a nice coop and a secure run ASAP. He will definitely appreciate company. If you plan to get pullets or hens you'll want to get at least five, since you need about 5-10 hens per rooster or they can suffer from overmating. Or you could just get another rooster. They get along very well when there are no hens around to bicker over.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree . Beautiful roo whatever he is.

4. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Because of the small comb, it could be Ameraucana.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks like an Easter egger rooster to me. He's young, and I'm betting he's been dumped due to his gender.

You can take him in and make a home for him. You could get a few hens, really doesn't matter what breed as long as they're not ornamental breeds like Silkies. Any dual purpose hens would be fine with him. Or, you could look for another young cockerel someone doesn't want and keep the two of them as freeloading pets [​IMG]

6. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Beautiful Easter egger rooster! Is he friendly? I agree with donrae, a few hens or another rooster would be a good idea. I wish a beautiful boy like him would wander into my yard! Lucky you!!
    -Liv

7. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Beautiful Easter egger rooster! Is he friendly? I agree with donrae, a few hens or another rooster would be a good idea. I wish a beautiful boy like him would wander intoy yard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by