This came out of my hen (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NoSkiveez, Aug 16, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    My young hen (8months) laid an egg that is covered in a jelly like substance and a thin tan colored membrane similar to the membrane on the inside of the egg. The contents appeared normal. The shell seemed thin. No one was bleeding or hand anything abnormal to their appearance. I might add, I'm getting about 4 eggs a week out of these 3 girls due to the high heat.

It has some dirt/sand. Should I be concerned?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    It looks like another layer of the shell that just wasn't hard enough to adhere.

3. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    I agree, looks like the hard part of the shell was peeled back and did not harden.

4. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Would it be a result of lack of calcium ?

Woul oyster shell fix this issue?

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Careful, I think it's ALIEN! [​IMG] Sorry, I agree, looks like she may have been trying to double wrap it.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's a few things that can cause this, but I agree most likely it's the heat. Make sure your hens are provided crushed oyster shell. You can also get calcium tablets from a pharmacy, crush 5 or 6 into a powder and sprinkle it in their feed for a few days. Between the crushed oyster shell and extra calcium, hopefully that'll harden the shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by