1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

This CAN'T be a Crevecoeur can it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CalebtheChicken, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I have this one young bird that looks and acts VERY similiar to the describtion of the Crevecoeur breed in Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds.
    But as I understand they are rather rare. Even more wierd is I got it at a 4-H poultry swap...

So is it a Crevecoeur or a mutt that just has Crevecoeur traits? It has a crest and a small beard.
    Here is a few head pics of it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's it's feet, they seem to be the same color as the legs of the birds in my book:
    [​IMG]

Help?

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    It looks like it might be one. Might just be hatchery stock, I know McMurray carries them.

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:Really? I didn't know that.

4. What does the comb look like?

5. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:I can't see its comb, it's hidden by its crest. But before it grew the crest it didn't have any comb development.

6. Quote:I can't see its comb, it's hidden by its crest. But before it grew the crest it didn't have any comb development.

It looks like it might be a hatchery Creve cockerel to me. The best way to tell is to look at the comb. A Creve will have "devil horns."

7. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:I can't see its comb, it's hidden by its crest. But before it grew the crest it didn't have any comb development.

It looks like it might be a hatchery Creve cockerel to me. The best way to tell is to look at the comb. A Creve will have "devil horns."

But don't Crevecoeur roo's crests flattin behind the comb? Or does that develope later in life? Also my cochin roo mounted it this morning [​IMG] He/she didn't like it... But niether do my known pullets [​IMG]
    I really don't know...

8. What do you mean "flatten?" They should have a globular crest....unless you're thinking of a La Fleche?

9. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:It doesn't really seem to have earlobes.... just small white spots were they should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by