This Can't be Normal!!

redsoxrule

Chirping
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Rockport,MA
This is the WEIRDEST thing. Our three hens have been laying for about a month now. So far we have gotten 2 double yolkers! (one we know is a double and the other we just got this morning is huge, so I'm guessing it's a double yolker) My poor girl! the egg weighs like a 1/4 of her weight it soooo weird!

It is normal. I had a three yolk one in the first month of mine laying. They say that when they are first starting that it takes a while for their systems to settle.
smile.png

Mine are all relatively new layers and one of my EEs gives me a double yolker at least 2x a week. The others seem to do it once or twice but poor Penny is consistent, then she skips a day of laying and takes a break, a well deserved one too!

It takes them til they are about 6 months old or more until they start layig normal eggs, I've had

double yokers from several breeds

rubber shells

no shells

double colored shells

speckled shells

no yolks

etc

these have all disapeared by 7 months....

I wish I knew what causes the specks, I still have one hen laying a light brown egg with dark spots, I love the way they look. She's been putting out less and less as she gets older.

Our hens just started to lay 12 days ago. We have gotten about 17 eggs so far. This morning both my husband and I cracked open double yolkers. :eek:
Most of the eggs we have gotten so far were small pullet size but these two we opened were more like full sized Large to extra large eggs. (2.25 ounces).
I was wondering if it was the same hen laying the double yolkers.

Normally chickens lay double yolks because thier reproductive system hasn't mature. Our current chickens which started laying hasn't lay a double yolk, soft shell but the eggs are on the smaller size which I prefer.

Back
Top Bottom