This chick has a lump on its head

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lalegid, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    This wee one hatched in the night, out of a green egg (araucana). It has a lump on its head, totally different from its siblings. I've attached a photo, and one of the group that hatched from green eggs. Is this anything to worry about? It looks different to the rest but other than that it is really healthy and energetic - and noisy!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    Any ideas? :)

3. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Can you tell us a little more information about the lump. Like is it soft or hard or movable? Does it seem to hurt the chick when you press on it? Does anything come out of it when
    you squeeze it?
    Without at least some of that information I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable guessing about it. But if you give more information out, you'll probably get more information in as well!

-kim-

4. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks.

It is soft and squishy, slightly movable but doesn't seem to bother the chick when I squeeze it. Nothing comes out. It is a really large lump - it seems to be his entire head. I've tried to take a better photo but it's still not great, sorry. There are a few feathers growing out of it.

[​IMG]

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    You don't think a vaulted skull breed could have sneaked in with your hens do you? Polish and silkies have vaulted skulls. I have polish and when they hatch it looks like your chick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a couple of pics hope you can see the lumps on their heads ok.

6. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    I bought these eggs so I'm not sure - but maybe that's what it is. Thanks :)

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I agree its likely a vault. Your chick looks sort of like a white crested black Polish. The breeder might've accidentally mixed up an egg :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I'm going to have to politely disagree with the notion that the lump is due to the chicken being a vaulted skull breed. I mean, as we all know, anything is possible with chickens, but I raise a few silkies and I know that when they hatch they do have a 'lump' of sorts on the top of their head, but it's definitely not an extension of their skull nor is it an additional appendage of skin...it's only a slightly raised crest of scalp, the majority of which is comprised of feathers. There is no palpable 'lump' and it shouldn't feel like one either. It should deflate when pressed and not squish around. Some may appear more pointy than others and I have found that those are usually roos. This is only my opinion and I may be wrong, as I am not there to view it for myself!

Good Luck and I hope it turns out well for the little one!

-kim-

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Most of my Silkie chicks hatch with lumps, or vaults. And you're correct, it is not an extension of the skull not an additional appendage of skin. It is where there is a hole in the skull (like a human baby) and the brain protrudes through a bit. It should not be squished or pressed on, ever. Both my males and females have them, and some not at all. I don't particularly notice a difference in crest size because of the vault, but those that have them seem to have a more bonnet shaped crest instead of a more round, globular shaped one. Most breeders prefer their Silkies have vaults (though not all) and I believe they are a part of the standard for Polish.

10. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    Interesting. I guess I will just wait and see what happens with this little one. Thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by