This chick just showed up in our yard

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mimsy, Jul 3, 2016.

1. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    This little guy was running around our back yard this morning. We let our chickens out and he was peeping and running from them. Haven't found the neighbor it may of came from yet. He's got a wound on his chest which we cleaned and put poultry vetericyn on. He's also got sticky stuff on his head, not sure what it is. He is eating and drinking like a champ.

Anyone know what he/she is?

[​IMG]

2. mimsy

Mar 9, 2012
    One more that showed up in our yard. This one has been running around the neighborhood for a few years. We finally caught her, she has leg mites which we've been treating. She's been here about 2 and half weeks.

I at first thought she was an old English game bantam, but now I'm wondering if she is a dutch since her ears are white. She is super tiny, 1.8 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I don't know what kind of chickens they are... but looks like they came to the right house to get help... =)

4. mimsy

Mar 9, 2012
    An update on the little one, which we named Popcan. We found two bite wounds, one on her chest and one under her wing. Tiny teeth marks, so I'm thinking a cat or a possum perhaps. I'm thinking about 3 weeks old or so.

We've never had a single chick before, it's just crazy. She doesn't want to be alone for a moment. We get lots of trilling every waking moment that we are in sight. If we try and cage her she does the sad loud peeps. We've mostly given up and let her sleep with us. Can't find any local chicks near us and I'm not sure at her age if she'd accept them. Plus we barely will have enough room for her in the coop, since we keep getting feral chickens. The adult above (we call that one the Road Runner, and the other Missy) is the second one this summer. So thats 3 unexpected new chickens.

Still can't guess the breed on this one, but it appears to be a bantam at about 160 grams right now. It looks like the feathers coming in on her head are going to be dark as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by