This chick was crowing this morning! :o)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossanne, Aug 17, 2010.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    This is Jack, a bantam cochin chick out of LittleAmeraucanaMom's eggs. He's four weeks old as of yesterday, and he woke me up crowing yesterday in honor of his 4wk birthday! The youngest cockerel I'd had crow before was 5 weeks old, also a bantam cochin, so he now holds the record at my house.

I'm THRILLED that he's a male. I have a pullet out of her eggs, and she really needed a mate. I've had one bantam cochin chick hatch out of each batch of eggs she's sent me, and I was really crossing my fingers for a pair. [​IMG]

A crowing chick is one of the funniest noises I've ever heard, and I stand by the brooder to watch and hear him now in the mornings. He goes and goes and goes.

2. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    how funny! I'd love to see a video [​IMG]
  3. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

thats a cute picture for sure!
  4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Awww Cute.I remember when one of Xmas babies (OEBG) roo's started roosting and crowing.DH was watching tv one night and I had the basement door open.I kept them in basement a good 2 month's but he was roosting and crowing at about one month old. He was like what the heck is that noise!EEEAhhhh AAAAWWWW LOL.They are so cute.Congrats on your Roo it's a Cutie.His feet look nice and feathered too.Maximus is all grown now and already the proud dad of numerous babie's!Hope your roo does great.
  5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    I'd love to hear what a 4 week old sounds like crowing! Does it sound like a mouse with laryngitis????

I have Brahma boys and they were drawing their pensions almost before they started!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] Pretty much! I'll see if I can record it tomorrow.
  7. Silkie Nut

Silkie Nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Florida
    i would not believe it if I had not heard it myself this morning... I thought I heard it Monday, but my 3 week bantam cochin was crowing up a storm this morning when I came out... when I heard it Monday I thought a snake was strangling one of the 5 week old Seramas that were in with him, but this morning I went out to look and he was up on the feeder neck stretched out crowing away... and yes a hoarse mouse might be a pretty good analogy... like I said like they were being squeezed :O) Amazing!
  8. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    How exciting he is a welcome roo! I am dreading the day one of mine crows. We have 11 four week olds and I can't keep roos. If s/he crows, s/he'll head to freezer camp [​IMG]
  9. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas cute! Our tiny OEGB rooster just recently started crowing, not sure how old he is, but he and the hen fit in one of my hands, so he's a tiny lil guy! Its the cutest sound!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by