This chicken is freakin me out!

Jamiestrow

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Hi All
I just introduced two new hens to my flock. Things are going very very well. Very light squabbling. But one of these new hens has taken a particular interest in ME! When im in the coop she is right next to me. I squat down and she is pecking at my clothes and rings, and some times gets skin. Ouch! She acts like she wants to jump on me. When i was standing she did attempt to jump up at me once. When im outside of the coop she is following me up and down the fence. It doesn't seem mean but im clueless when it comes to chicken behavior. Is she being mean?!?? Please help!!!

Hi All
I just introduced two new hens to my flock. Things are going very very well. Very light squabbling. But one of these new hens has taken a particular interest in ME! When im in the coop she is right next to me. I squat down and she is pecking at my clothes and rings, and some times gets skin. Ouch! She acts like she wants to jump on me. When i was standing she did attempt to jump up at me once. When im outside of the coop she is following me up and down the fence. It doesn't seem mean but im clueless when it comes to chicken behavior. Is she being mean?!?? Please help!!!

Are you positive that "she" isn't a "he"? Could you post a photo of the chicken?

I have pullets and young Roos that follow me around looking for treats. When I don't have any, they taste my clothes and shoes. Yours might jus be being friendly...

Last edited:
I was told she was laying. She looked like all the other hens in the pen. She the one on the right.

She must just like you. My girls will jump up for treats...maybe yours has learned to do the same. I have one who seems to dislike my skirts...or she's playing but every time I wear one she grabs it and shakes her head like a dog shakes a toy. She could be attacking me but she's a Hamburg and they're pint size so it's more hilarious than it is threatening.

I have one that has always really liked me. As a chick she would always fly up to my arm . She always wanted to be near me or ON me. She doesn't fly up to me anymore, thank goodness or I would probably freak out. But she still follows me and is the most vocal when I come around. Its like she wants to be noticed and get all of the attention. I'm always telling her to hush, noisy thing. And she is the only one that doesn't run when I try to pick her up. So maybe your new chicken just likes you and wants some attention.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom