this chicken just showed up in our backyard! help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by janeyhoward, Jan 20, 2013.

1. janeyhoward

janeyhoward New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Durham, NC
    we found this chicken living under a holly tree in our backyard. We want to build a coop for it, but don't really even know where to start. Does anyone know what kind it is? We are getting some chicken feed for her, but for the time being she has been eating sprouted lentils and seeds. Any help is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. mshuntjump

mshuntjump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Looks like a mixbreed to me, because no breed really comes to mind. She will definitely need a friend, though, if you plan on keeping her. One of those little portable coops would probably be fine for two hens. Leave them in for a couple days so they know that is a safe spot, and they won't free range very far from it. Check out this link. These are nice for a very small flock. : http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=350696331965&index=23&nav=SEARCH&nid=02163124576

These are a couple of my small coops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my main one:
    [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    her body reminds me of a game and theres a ton of different kinds of games

4. janeyhoward

janeyhoward New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Durham, NC
    do game hens lay eggs? (sorry if this shows my complete lack of knowledge about this stuff) I am very excited to learn more-- I love that we suddenly have a chicken to take care of! We are vegetarians, so I guess she knew she would be safe here :)

5. mshuntjump

mshuntjump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Yes. Every hen lays! Unless she is older, but by the look of her she looks quite young. You will SO enjoy her eggs!

6. janeyhoward

janeyhoward New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Durham, NC
    awesome! thanks so much for all the help!

7. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    How neat to just have a chicken show up in your yard! I've seen so many people on here say "Chickens are like chips, you can't just have 1!" and It's so true [​IMG] If you keep her she'll definitely need a friend!

8. janeyhoward

janeyhoward New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Durham, NC
    well, the funny thing is that I have been thinking that it would be nice to have chickens! I just hadn't taken the time to figure it all out until now-- but I want to learn all I possibly can about it. And yes, once we build a coop, we'll go ahead and get another one so she'll have a friend. Her name is Holly since we found her under our holly tree :)

9. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    It is so great that your taking her in!! I started raising chickens just 2 yrs ago and I absolutely LOVE it. Holly definitely needs playmates though:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by