this cold & humidity is killing us!

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's close to freezing but not enough for snow, instead it's pouring rain with 100% humidity.

The coop is VERY humid, despite vents and doors popped open to let the air circulate - but it lets in the cold and I have to keep the energy-guzzling heat lamp on for my 4 new girls who are huddled under it, one of them is tiny and practically naked (skin and bones).

Plus a silkie sitting on half a dozen eggs, trying to get some peace and quiet so she can concentrate on keeping them warm.

barnie.gif

The flock is used to being outside free-ranging for most of the day, they HATE being cooped up but what else can I do?

They have the lights on, a heating lamp, the pop door is open if they want to get their feet soggy outside in the run and I installed a little radio in there so they have classical music to keep them company.

Am I crazy?

hide.gif

Last edited:
NAH
Overboard a little maybe but i also have a radio for my birds and also have heated safe houses for them
My wife thinks they live better than us lol

Is your coop insulated? Makes a huge difference in regulating moisture. What about the bedding? Shavings? Deep litter or spot-cleaning?
Any vents down low? They're terrible for moisture.
I know what you're saying about rain this fall- same here.
You do what you have to do.
Our coop is in a barn and we just insulated the barn, not seeing any condensation at all, now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-Coop_Insulation

Last edited:
Quote:
Lynne, you say vents down low are bad for humidity? Same weather here and my coops are at 80-85% humidity. I have not seen any posts on what the coop humidity should be. Any ideas? I have deep litter pine shavings in the coop and that doesn't seem to change anything. It is warm enough in the coops now, but my insulation failed (chickens destroyed it) and I now have to consider other options for the below freezing weather we will surely see in the next month or 2. I wondered if you remove the insulation in the coops during the summer? Wouldn't it get too hot it the summer if you don't remove it?

Last edited:
Indeed.

How is your coop vented? Venting through the top allows for the moisture inside to rise and escape which helps keep the floor portion drier and warmer.

I can't sleep at night if I'm worried they're cold or bored or anything, LOL!

My friends have started calling me the crazy chicken lady.

I keep telling them the only thing that's crazy is THEM not having any chickens!
lol.png

PS: yes coop is about 75% insulated and has come vents at the very top, although I'm sure there could be more... it's the outside humidity we're battling with, as the inside of the coop reflects that. Hard to keep anything dry when it's raining and near freezing, you know?

Pop door is at floor level and open all day...

We have regular wood shavings for bedding and I clean under the roosting pallet about once a week, then mix in new bedding with the old.

Heat lamp is on pretty much 15 to 20 hours a day now, seem to help a lot!

Jeeez I don't want to see that heating bill....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom