This coop was $$ FREE $$

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justusnak, Sep 21, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...we finally finished the Turkey coop. [​IMG] Well...almost finished...needs paint, and insulation. My DH gets these large pine crates from work...for free. THey are burning the ones he doesnt have time to get. So....we thought, what can we do with them?? AHA! Build turkey coop...and chicken coop!
    So....tear down the crates...some are 5 ft tall...and 4x4 square...some smaller....then, reuse the wood...AND nails...so totally free.! Here are a few pics of the Turkey coop...in progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Two walls done....the taller wall on the left of the pic, is the beginning of a Chicken coop, that will be attached to it.

[​IMG]
    The screen door, will be accessed from inside the chicken coop.

[​IMG]
    This turkey coop is 6ft x 6ft...and 6 1/2ft tall in the front, 5 1/2ft tall in the back.
    There are 3 windows...for ventilation. The currogated plastic roofing will allow sunlight in..its white....and was FREE!! I bought 10 sheets, and they threw in the ones for the turkey coop. So....free wood crates...reused nailes...free roofing..fencing we had left over from another project...total cost...FREE. All thats left now is painting..and we have 5 gallons left from painting the shop last year...so...FREE!! LOL

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    You are so lucky!!!!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have 2 coops, and everything uesed to construct them was fre salvaged items, except for the nails and screws I had to buy.

Thats the only way to do it! [​IMG]

4. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    Well if it was free, you cant go wrong.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks Peeps...I am uploading the pics of the chicken coop...not finished yet...but the pics will give ya an idea of how it will look when done. LOTS of work...but well worth it! Think its big enough for 3 turkeys??? 2 Royal Palms...and a bronze?

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    UH YEAH!!!!!

7. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Just jumping in to ask... how did those cornish x eggs do. I have not been on much lately so I figured I missed something.

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I honestly have no idea how much room turkeys need....to me..they looked cramped in there...with just the 2. [​IMG] Thier yard is about 10 x 12...enough room?? I dont want them cramped. They have HUGE wingspans.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Freebie.....I have yet to get pics downloaded...darned dialup!! Takes sooo long. I will TRY to get pics on here this weekend. Out of 8 eggs....3 hatched...but one was killed by a roo when it got out of the brooder. [​IMG] 2 are still alive and well...2 weeks old now...cute as a button. I will try to get pics on here...and start a new thread. Thanks for asking!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Free is great. Even I can afford free! Good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by