1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This Cuckoo Marans IS a boy, right? updatd pictures

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gladahmae, Sep 30, 2012.

1. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    updated pics, and I should also add that this chick's comb was damaged at a few days old and hasn't grown at all, so I can't really use that as a judging point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a bit puzzled b/c (s)he is so light in color [roo-ish], but doesn't have thick legs [pullet-ish], hasn't crowed [pullet-ish], and is at the very bottom of the pecking order (although I did just combing this one and my BCM pullet with my 19wk olds, so some bullying was expected). This pic is a little old, but still pretty accurate as far as shape/coloring goes.

Feathers seem pretty rounded to me, and to my (completely untrained) eye I don't see any saddle or hackle feathers coming in.

(S)he is about 12wks old now, but is around 10wks in the pic. AND the picture makes it look a bit lighter than it actually is as far as coloring goes. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. CrzyChcknLady

CrzyChcknLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    From everything I can see in the pic I would say "she" is definitely not a boy! Lol

3. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    anyone else?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if that were a cockerel you would have known by 6 weeks via the comb and wattles. on marans the cockerels combs and wattles are way bigger than that by 6 weeks of age. i would say you have a pullet there

5. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    same here, i think pullet

6. Ralph Moyer

Ralph Moyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    NW Cherokee County Kansas
    If it is "darker" than the photo, my guess is it's a pullet.

7. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    added some pictures from today since I raided the memory card out of the trail camera! [​IMG]

8. FreeRoaming

FreeRoaming Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    South TX
    I think you tell by the feathers when they are young... that is what the feedstore told me. I think you got a female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by