1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This doesn't look good...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PirateShipp, Jan 29, 2015.

1. PirateShipp

PirateShipp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    So this is our first time attempting to hatch. We started with 7 eggs on the 24th. This would be day 5. I see nothing but yolk. Are they all duds? Am I not seeing something? Maybe thats NOT a rooster :p[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    Personally I've never had an egg hatch that showed those white speckles throughout it. They do look infertile - but - I have a lot of trouble being 100% certain before day 8-9, a few I've put aside but left in the incubator on day 4 have come up by day 9 and are obviously developing.
    But if I had to put money on it, I would say those 2 in the photos were empty, sorry. How many hens is the rooster in with, how old is he, and how long has he been with the hens for?

3. PirateShipp

Jan 23, 2015
    Hmmm..most appear to have the speckles. Any idea as to what that is?
    They are all about a year old. Have been together the whole time. One rooster for 4 hens.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    What you are seeing are the pores of the egg shell. Really porous eggs do have a lower development/hatch rate but I've hatched more than one egg that looked like that and even one or two that were even more porous. Those do look like clears, but I never remove anything before day 10 to be sure. (Unless one is smelling or has bloodring.)

This is an awesome thread for candling. I use it as a comaprison when hatching. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Give those eggs until day 7 or 8, then candle them. With your light set up, you should be able to see just fine. Some eggs are naturally more porous than others. I wish you the best. Show us a pic at day 7-8!!!

6. PirateShipp

Jan 23, 2015
    We definitely left them. Still turning. Just sad that they ALL look like that. Starting to wonder if we have 5 hens instead of 4! Today we went out to check/collect and there were 5 eggs. I thought normally they lay one a day. Thought for sure we had a silkie rooster.

There are 12 more in our "purple hatch" (color we mark with for turning) The group originally posted is the "green hatch" If the second group ends up clear, I might be in the market for a rooster ;)

They all *look* good and no smells. Tomorrow will be day 7. I might check again Monday.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you know how to break the egg open and check for fertility? Silkies are hard as heck to sex if they haven't crowed, but at a year, I think you should have heard a crowing??? I just gave away 5 cockerels. One was a silkie too. I'll try to find the fertile/not fertile pics for you.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Crack open one of the freshly gathered eggs and look for the "bullseye". This should help you determine wether you are getting fertile eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

9. PirateShipp

Jan 23, 2015
    So, I have a pair (I think) silkie hen and rooster and then 3 leghorn hens. Would it look the same with the leghorn/silkie cross?
    Our thought process was purebred silkies, since folks in our area look for those to buy, then leghorn X eggs for eating.

Thanks for the pictures, might try that when I get home. I'll see if I can get pictures of the silkies as well to see if you can tell me what I have [​IMG]

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Would what look the same?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by