This doesn't look right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyquilter, Oct 24, 2009.

1. kyquilter

kyquilter Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

This is my 7 month old Easter Egger. She doesn't seem sick, her poop looks fine, she's eating ok but I don't think this is right. Both sides look this way. I don't believe the other chickens have been pecking her because it's the same on both sides and none of my other 9 hens are showing signs of being pecked.

Any clues as to what's wrong and how I can fix it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    My first thought was bee sting but if both sides look the same forget it. I hope an expert replies....

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Someone probably was picking at her beard. It happens.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Sinus infection? i have a silkie with this, but only on one side. Trying to save up the $500 my vet wants to lance it and see what's inside. Hopefully an expert will respond on this thread soon for you.

5. kyquilter

kyquilter Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Any other suggestion? Thanks!

6. lilredhenmom

lilredhenmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    They are picking the feathers on her beard! I have 3 EE's, 2 barred rocks, 2 BO's , 1 RIR and a Red sexlink. The other ladies always pick one of my EE's. They also pick at her back! Such brats! I have used the no-pick from Rooster Booster. It seems to work ok.
    [​IMG]

7. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Rooster Booster blue liquid and blu kote work GREAT.... just be very careful not to get it in the eye or too close to the eyes.

It numbs and burns and keeps birds from biting and it also has something in it to numb the bo bo.... and promote healing. If someone does bite or peck after applying the nasty numbing taste stays in the mouth for days reminding them not to do it again.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She may be getting an infection from feather picking. If it doesn't improve in the next few days, you may have to lance it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by