1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This economy...how people are handling everything...working from home?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by go-veggie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Financially speaking, this is a bad year for us. I am finding myself thinking more and more about the future, gas and other things going up in price, how life will be for my kids someday, etc. I am an eternal optimist and have always been a super happy person, but lately, I have been a little preoccupied with this. When the bills come in the mail and I realize how stressful our situation is, I stop and think about other people who are going through tough times too. I think most of us are driving less and doing what we can to spend a little less each month, but I am curious to know what else people are doing. How are people conserving? Is anyone actually working from their home and making money? What are your opinions on the future...on cars...prices...education...government, etc.? Are any of you feeling uneasy about the future? Or hopeful and optimistic? I'd really like to hear your thoughts on everything. [​IMG]

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I like to think I'm an optimist too. [​IMG]
    We started a commercial glass business about 2 years ago. Our first year was amazing!! We spent the next six months planning our long term finances and starting a farm. Then we got hit with the big economic slow down. For awhile we thought we wouldn't be affected. We were wrong. It's been really nerve wracking knowing that it's not only our home and lifestyle on the line, but our employees are at risk too. We've gone a number of months drawing only enough pay to get by. The good news is, we won't starve with all this livestock around. I can't eat them, but their feed is less expensive than mine. Also, the garden has gone nuts. We have way more zucchini and tomato than we can eat, and more is on the way! I've been passing out food in the neighborhood. Hopefully, I'll have enough ready soon to donate to the food bank.
    Unfortunately, our business hinges on driving large, trailer towing trucks to jobsites in other states. That won't change. All we can do is keep on keepin' on and tighten our belts where we can. At the end of the day, I'm glad we aren't hurting as badly as others, and our employees still have steady paying jobs.

edited to add: This will get better and when it does, a lot of detritus will have been removed and things will be even better than before!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I think compared to a lot of folks my family is lucky. I mean we have enough money to buy a house, a harley and a small car and i can stay at home with our three kids. We have full health and a good dental insurance. We dont go on big vacations though, only to see relatives and on the free annual training conferences that the army pays for.We always go to nice hotels for this such as double tree.....or the one across from seaworld Florida once we even went down to marco Island.

4. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:I am doing Okay. I need a bad ass hurricane to drive the money in here. Unfortunately, disasters bring in the bigger bucks. I am also a problogger?!?! I make an additional 300 a week from online sites etc. It's like cash I never see for just being online. Other then that, I'm a waitress and everyone has to eat out for some reason. It's like gas but in the way of food, convenience. Sad for them, good for me. People will never quit eating out. Disasters will will always happen. 68,000 down here as a waitress. I can live with that. [​IMG]

On a side note, I support a family of 3 with a monthly rent of 3000 with electric and water not included. Hubby is a firefighter making 23,000 a year. Nice. NOT.

5. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am a wavering optimist. Mostly I kind of put blinders on and plow along with our lifestyle that my family chooses, otherwise I get too angry at all the stuff going on and end up being too angry to be useful.

We moved closer to DH's work, and I ended my job. My being at home and driving less is actually saving money, and DH can ride his bike to work.

We are getting chickens because I have always wanted them and we will hopefully make a little egg money on the side, and we have the op to take over our landlord's produce (all those organic gardens by our chicken coops) business... [​IMG] So, hopefully the push to buy local. natural, homemade and homegrown will help fuel our new enterprise. Little by little returning to the agricultural/crofter type lifestyle will hopefully help everyone in the long run. It's nice to be in an online community, here that supports that so much.

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:That's one thing we don't have. In actuality it doen't seem worth it. I spend MAYBE 300 a year on dental and health.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:That's one thing we don't have. In actuality it doen't seem worth it. I spend MAYBE 300 a year on dental and health.

Comes with my husbands job in the army, also he has a total of seven kids between me and his ex. Good to have since they paid our sons 100.000$ hospital bills and his three oldest had braces.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I just bought a scooter to take to work instead of my suv. Why do I have an suv? My DD's big family, a horse trailer, gotta get hay, and I like HD and Lowe's.

9. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Quote:I hope you're right! That's great that you can give produce away! I know how rare it is for poor people to be able to eat fresh foods. I grew up on powdered milk and bread. My husband is self-employed with a quad-axle dump truck, and when we moved into this house 6 years ago, fuel was $1 a gallon...and it's been as high as $5 here recently. It's coming down a little, but it's still too high, and the damage is done. He's spending any profit he makes on fuel, and we are behind on lots of things. So, I feel your pain having to use heavy trucks to haul your products or whatever. Here's a good example for people who don't know this business: His annual plate renewal stickers were $1,600 a year, now they are over $2,000 because of Gov. Doyle's budget. That's just one example besides the fuel costs...it is becoming a little overwhelming. Anyway, best of luck to you in your business and thanks for sharing your story!

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:I know what you mean. My staying home has helped too. Its hard for some of our extended family to see that. We live in the country so just the fuel is a big savings. Then theres the clothes and the lunches. Also we noticed when I was working that beings I was in town it was easy for either son or hubby to call and say "Will you pick this up?" Now we just go with out it! Also now I have the time to do all of my cooking and baking from scratch and grow a garden. Plus I am a whole lot happier. My Dad use to say "If Mamma aint happy aint nobody happy!"[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by