1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This egg is so hard It won't crack!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelly13, Aug 9, 2014.

1. kelly13

kelly13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Camden, De
    So I got an egg today from one of my girls and I don't know who! I found it in the nesting box! It's white and has tiny little speckles it won't crack! I mean it feels hollow and I slammed it on the concrete! Hit with a brick and it won't crack. Anyone heard of this before from chickens starting to lay? Think it's bc they had to much calcium or is someone playing a joke on me???

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Is it porcelain? Joke, maybe?

3. kelly13

kelly13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Camden, De
    Well after posting this we got out the drill and come to find out it's freaking wood! Someone really went out of there way to come in the night or
    Early this am before 630 to put wooden eggs in my nesting box! :/ lol

4. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Too funny.

5. newchick6

newchick6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Uk
    Those hens are having a laugh :lau

6. fatboysmith

fatboysmith Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    My dad did something like that to my mom once. He had a coworker that he was getting goose eggs from and putting them in the bantam nests my mom tended. She was calling half the county telling 'em bout her giant egg laying bantams...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by