This egg was laid, boiled and peeled all in the same day *PIC*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Jan 4, 2012.

1. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    [​IMG]

I keep a bowl of water in the freezer, immediately remove the eggs from the hot water, transfer to the cold water and set in the freezer for 10 mins. Never had a problem peeling. No salt added

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Okay - next time I'm skipping the salt then. [​IMG] In my experience, immersing the eggs in ice water straight from the boiling water makes them easy to peel. We only have a few layers - so anytime I boil eggs, it's with eggs that are, at most, a couple days old.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:Not a fan of hard boiled but if you keep a bowl of water in the freezer wouldn't it be called ice? [​IMG]

4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Not a fan of hard boiled but if you keep a bowl of water in the freezer wouldn't it be called ice? [​IMG]

[​IMG]:lau

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm waiting for today's first eggs so I can give this method a try. I've never tried putting the eggs into boiling water - I guess my Mom never did it, so I don't either. I haven't been able to get a good boiled egg in the year I've had my girls.

Does anyone know if it's OK to boil refrigerated eggs, or should I let them come to room temp?

6. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    From this site, I've heard it's best if they are cold - from the fridge.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    How long are you boiling the fresh eggs, and do you put them in the water after it is boiling? (Still having a time with mine [​IMG])

8. IcyOldHen

IcyOldHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I've never been a fan of boiled eggs either, but I've found them to be the perfect after school snack for my grandkids. And I've found I even like them if I cook them just right.

I put them in the cool water, bring to a boil, boil for 2 minutes, remove from the heat and let them sit in the hot water for 5 minutes. They turn out not hard, hard boiled but rather perfectly cooked.

I've had issues peeling them and the salt didn't help. I had heard about plunging them into cold water many many years ago and will try that!

I cut them in half lengthwise (like for deviled eggs) and salt & pepper them. The kids love them. And they're a such a healthy snack!

My silkie has recently started laying, so now I have a bunch of little silkie eggs and am wondering how to adjust my cooking time to get them perfect?

I think the kids will love the little eggs!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I am going to try this tonight. I have read part of the linked thread. I am wondering if the "ladel into boiling water then boil for 14-15 minutes" means timing from the moment you drop the eggs in, or from the time the water starts to boil again? or does it always stay boiling? Also- is the boiling time reduced for smaller eggs? or would that depend on how cold they are- probably both?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by