1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This for Bantie Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PepsNick, Jan 28, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    My current coop, rabbit hutch-like is 5x3. In a few months I will be doing a large McMurray order, and would like to use this for a bantam coop. I was thinking I could hold about 8, with the 15x5 run and free ranged. I'll probably also divide the nest boxes in half. Very excited! I have only had one bantam before, Clover, a few years ago.

[​IMG]

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Looks great! [​IMG]

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Thanks Laura! We built it in the summer, and got a lot of ideas from another small coop on here. If this isn't obvious, we designed it before joining BYC, which means that chicken math wasn't around yet. [​IMG]

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Dontcha just love chicken math?

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Best thing in the world!

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm jealous!!

7. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Due to chicken math and the new order to mypetchicken. I will be up to 15! (Along time ago, all I wanted was 3. Of course the is before I found rare chickens and BYC) My DH is going to be building me a coop to fit all. The current coop he built me in Oct. will become, like yours, a bantam coop.

And yes this was all due to chicken math! [​IMG]

8. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I think they will be very happy. I have one very similar to it. Although the bantys all moved out of their own choice and into the big coop. I now use it as a brooder coop.

This is mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I wouldn't go with more than that. 5x3=15/8=1.88sq ft per bird. That's a bit under the norm of 2sq ft per bird. Outside space is great, just hope you don't get a lot of snow like ya'll did this year!

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:I do not see any Ventilation in your coop? Make sure to keep it well ventilated for you ladies! Just a suggestion is to put atleast a 8"x12" vent I few inches from the top.

-Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by