this forum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stcroixusvi, Aug 12, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I have a real love hate relationship with this part of the forum. For a long time, I had the cute chicks, and the worries were confined to diseases. Now they are 13+ weeks, and in their coop, but now the predators are out there - in a big way. I feel so sorry for anyone who loses chickens to predators. Maybe if I had 100 all the same, I might feel a bit differently, but I have 22 with all individual personalities and quirks. And they are all named. Will I survive this? I need to go buy an electric fence.

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I know how you feel - we have 20, various breeds and ages and all named too. Just 2 wks ago, I neglected to do head count one night and found feathers all over the woods the next morning. They free range in a section of our woods in the evening and then they all come in for treats before bedtime. I was sure they had all come in - but the feathers told the terrible truth. I still feel bad - she was one of the last bunch and very friendly. I have been thinking about an electric fence as another layer of security as well - hubby will probably think I've lost my mind.

3. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss. I don't think I feel safe free ranging, although that had been our intent before we got chickens. Yesterday while we were watching them in their run, a hawk flew over head and let out a piercing scream. One of our roos got his hackles up and all of them ran for cover - even though we have chicken wire over the top of the run to protect them from flying predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by