This girl is supposed to be Black Star but I am not so sure...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kathymccown, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kathymccown

kathymccown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    I bought this girl at a couple days old with the rest of my Black Stars, but she doesn't look like them. They are about four months old now. Think she is just different or maybe a Star from a Star hen? Her name is Anxiety because she runs around in circles and squawks a lot, and acts scared all the time. I included a picture of one that the rest look like. They are all different, but mainly have the same sort of look except her.

Thanks!
    Kathy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She could be a black sexlink, yes. They have varying degrees of gold in the hackles and chest. She just seems to have more than the usual amount.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    we have black sex links that look solid black..have to fluff them up some to see any gold in their hackles at all then we have some that are quite a bit like yours around 50% gold...all are great layers and all of ours are cuddly pets as well [​IMG]

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    black stars are really just a mixed breed, not always the same breed combinations. so there really isn't a standard look to them per se. I would say you have a lovely chicken

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have one of my 26 that is about the same color--came from McMurray's at end of May.

6. kathymccown

kathymccown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks, I kind of thought it could be a variation on "normal" since there is no standard for them, but sometimes she looks like she totally doesn't go with the rest. Then other times I look at her and think she is just golder, because her face looks the same as the others. She is kinda pretty, isn't she? I hope she calms down some. We will be putting the nesting boxes in their home soon, so maybe she is just a brooder without a nest now and is nervous and will calm down then. I can't wait until they are all full grown and I get to see their colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by