This guy tricked me!! Breed?!? Not Barred Rocks...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahandbray, Oct 10, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    OK, McMurray Special random assortment chick, 8-weeks old.
    I'm not positive, but I think he's a Roo.
    I originally though he was a Barred Rock...but now I'm not so sure!! See the blue, iridescent feathers?!? What's that mean? I heard that Black Sex Link males may have streaks of brown, but this guy doesn't...hmmm ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is possible that it is just a hatchery-quality Barred Rock, which would explain the poor barring and strange feather color. Or, it could be a Black Sex-link male.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I just looked at this bird on your other post and was under the impression there that it might have been shipped with an order of Black Sex Links. Even so, I expressed doubt that it was a Black Sex Link male. I see on this post that you got it in a random assortment chick package and that makes me certain that it's not a Black Sex Link male. As I stated on the other post, its barring is just too clean with no signs of any reddish feathers in the saddle or wing area. It looks to me like it is just a hatchery quality Barred Rock.

4. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Super--either way, a boy? It's darker than the other boys I have, so I wasn't 100% sure...

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's definitely male, no matter the breed.

I think it's a black sex link. Pure barred males are much lighter overall. My black sex link guys don't get red leakage until 3+ months, about the same time they get hackle and saddle feathers.

I don't think the blue feathers mean anything, breed wise. In my experience, pretty much any black bird can have a sheen to it.

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It may in fact turn out to be a Black Sex Link, but I agree that either way, it is a male.

7. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks!! I may be posting a few other birds for gender confirmation today since I.m going to see what this whole Poultry Swap is all about tomorrow morning! It's $5 to sell and the organizer said people come to buy roosters as well--and if any are left over at the end, she said they all "go", no problem.
    I don't want to mis-represent these guys, either--that's not cool.

Hoping to find homes for these guys--hate to do it because all my boys are so sweet!! I've been reading about the Pros/Cons of buying straight-run, and although I get why it's more humane to buy straight-run, even thinking of culling my flock right now is tough.
    I know I can't keep 20 Roos...and I don't have an area to make a bachelor pad, so they have to go soon-ish.
    Though they all get along just fine at 8-weeks. When do they usually start getting nasty towards each other?

8. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    For what it's worth, I just have this feeling these two guys are Black Sex link. The other four Barred Rock Roos I have are significantly whiter--so much so, that I thought these two might be girls!! Sigh.
    I had 7 Barred Rocks (which are now 5 BR and probably 2 BSL) and got ONE girl! I think. That is, unless she too is a BSL boy. Oy vey.
    My luck at straight-run chance is about as bad as my gambling luck at any other thing ;)

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, that looks like a Black Sex-Link male. But, it could just be a poor quality Barred Rock (though likely male then, as well).

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Same here. That's why my hatchery orders for the past few decades have been all pullet orders. Even with pullet orders, I always end up with a cockerel or two (unless it's a sex link order).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by