this has been a bad year for our cats already..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ducklove334, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Less than a month into spring, and we've lost THREE of our beloved farm/mousing/pet cats to the road,and the idiots who have no respect to slow down for a CAT.

in late February Jb, our oldest tom got hit after living here for a year!, when he lived in west virginia with me, he lived in the CITY, as a STRAy...so he KNEW the roads, and what roads were. but quickly, as cats do addapted to country life, and I think forgot about roads. he was around 11 years old, snd in the toms hierarchy ruled with an iron fist.

then a few days ago, we lost Maddie,to the road, just infront of the house. the FIRST time ever she'd crossed the road, she and her brother tyler are about 9 months old now, young outside cats in training.

and now today, our 8 year old former queen of the barn yard Velvet, just a month short of her ninth birthday.

most of the other cats stay to the back end of the property, and don't go near the woods.

it's coming time to get my two 11 month olds spayed, Sicily was in heat for three days up til yesterday, now shes either bred or out of it til the nest cycle. I know I know, should have gotten it done sooner, blah blah blah. but with the baby coming, spaying the cats has been the last thing on our minds, besides one more litter won't hurt anything. they'll both be getting spayed within the next month or so, unless Sicily is pregnant, then she will have to wait.

moral= roads + cats = = not fun.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awww! sorry about your kitties! [​IMG] i have 6 of them (all indoors..cause i'm afraid of them getting smooched..[​IMG]...) to be honest i have also hit a cat before...[​IMG] [​IMG] i was heartbroken! but man! they run right out in front of you and you dont have time to stop! i cried and cried and it wasnt even my cat! i was knocking on folks doors at 11 at night trying to find the owners to say i was sorry....i found them...they just said...ooh, leave it there, we'll pick it up tomorrow. [​IMG] and here i was bawling cause i killed their kitty and they didnt even care! UGH! that still gets me mad! [​IMG]

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    i was heartbroken! but man! they run right out in front of you and you dont have time to stop!

now that I can kinda understand, if it was an accident, sure...but what erks me, and I was witness to this once, one of my 2 year old cat Gizmos sisters back in WV he and his sister were outside kitties cause Gizmo didn't use the litter box inside, Uno was crossing the road to come greet me, she had JUST stepped off the curb and a green car maybe 100 feet away sped up to purposly hit her, she made it to the front porch of our house then died seconds later, I held that cat and cried and cried for HOURS. I form very special bonds with our cats, because I am the one who makes sure they are fed every morning, and intereacted with, YES they are annoying, but then so arn't the dogs(ALL the time), pig, chickens,ducks,and everything else most days, don't mean I don't like them any less.​

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i hear ya! theres some real sickos out there! and they WILL try to run over cats as fun...UGH! [​IMG]

5. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    oh so sorry to hear that. [​IMG] my uncles dog came to stay with us and killed my kitty cat that I had bottle fed I was heartbroken I tried for hours to keep my poor kitty alive but he ended up passing in my arms. [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    sorry for your loss.... but if your animals are wandering the neighbourhood, you'll have to accept getting run over and crossing paths of sickos as part of the deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by